Rubberbond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my flat felt roof replaced with the rubberbond product via their recommended supplier and I also took the optional insulation layer which consists of Kingspan 50mm boards being laid on the decking. I'm unpleasantly surprised that I haven't noticed a significant improvement in insulation over my old roof (which I think wasn't insulated at all) Any ideas why this could be?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the VOLUME (not cost) of gas through your meter, and kWH of electricity, was the same last winter as the winter before?

Not that scientific I'm afraid. I mean it feels no warmer in the room.

insulation will help keep a room cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

you probably felt the heating effects or the summer sun more when the roof was un-insulated

Sponsored Links
mikey69 said:
Not that scientific I'm afraid. I mean it feels no warmer in the room.

If, as I would hope, your heating system has thermostats on it, I would expect it to keep the room at the same temperature, for example 22 degrees, but use less energy doing it. As you will remember, last winter was unusuallly cold, and energy prices unusually high.

When the the house built? It might have had fibreglass insulation in the old roof.

This is a newish room above the garage. I think it's about 20 years old, so it was a flat, felt roof. This was only done a month or so ago, so no heating has been switched on. I'm concerned that the contractor may not have actually put the insulation boards in, but charged me anyway. is there any way I'd know?. They told me there was no insulation in the original roof, which is why I was expecting a better result.

I'm also planning on plastering the ceiling of the room concerned, would this help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back