Rugby World Cup

Sponsored Links
For many Americans, there is no World outside America.
That is indeed true.

I don't think their education includes much in the way of world Geography or history....other than the world of the USA

Sponsored Links
Have you got any data to prove your theory?
the words 'I don't think' are a fairly explicit indication that my post is an opinion.

Although a quick google (not fact checked) does seem to concur.......

This condition reflects the basic inadequacy of the educational system at every level, when it comes to understanding the world we live in. Americans of all ages have long scored lower than citizens of other countries on geography and current-events awareness quizzes and shown a stunning inability even to locate major countries on the map, let alone develop an appreciation for their cultures or their roles in global affairs.
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/03/23/essay-problems-american-ignorance-world

the words 'I don't think' are a fairly explicit indication that my post is an opinion.

Although a quick google (not fact checked) does seem to concur.......

This condition reflects the basic inadequacy of the educational system at every level, when it comes to understanding the world we live in. Americans of all ages have long scored lower than citizens of other countries on geography and current-events awareness quizzes and shown a stunning inability even to locate major countries on the map, let alone develop an appreciation for their cultures or their roles in global affairs.
https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2015/03/23/essay-problems-american-ignorance-world
"That is indeed true" indicates a belief in the theory first mooted

Have you ever watched The Chase or Pointless the lack of world events and geography by our fellow citizens is embarrassing to say the the least

Anecdotally, on my last few holidays US citizens were in the majority of fellow travellers and in the main I found well educated and extremely friendly

I suppose if you live in such a large country.... Not much of an excuse I know. I lived in a village that had a North and South end, I met someone from the North end of the village once who claimed they'd never even been to the south end (probably not true, but a good story)

I suppose the US has all manner of homegrown attractions both man made and natural, deserts, mountains, tropical, arctic, coastal, and a royal palace

I suppose the US has all manner of homegrown attractions both man made and natural, deserts, mountains, tropical, arctic, coastal, and a royal palace

Indeed, there is in terms of variety of scenery / climate less need to venture out of the US. People are varied in their interest of other cultures.

Anecdotally, on my last few holidays US citizens were in the majority of fellow travellers and in the main I found well educated and extremely friendly

Which demonstrates Notch's point.
By definition, the people you met "on your travels" were, "travelled" to some degree.
Whereas the remainder were not

I suppose if you live in such a large country.... Not much of an excuse I know. I lived in a village that had a North and South end, I met someone from the North end of the village once who claimed they'd never even been to the south end (probably not true, but a good story)

I met a fella once who'd nether left his village in Cornwall.
I was told that a few cornish have never crossed the Tamar.

Sponsored Links
Back