Rules about water meters etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on buying one of those above ground (temporary)swimming pools for the garden but was concerned about the water usage issues what with them being so large. I have searched various sources and have received conflicting information, so I was wondering if someone might know about it here.

The full pool will easily hold 5000 litres of water and will most likely take anything up to 6 hours to fill up. I am not on a water meter but apparantly if you own a power shower or a deep bath it can be grounds to have one compulsorily fitted. Basically, if I fill up my pool am I going to have some official coming round thinking there's a burst pipe, or worse, telling me I have to have a water meter fitted? Also, if the water is returned to the sewer rather than emptied over the ground (don't worry, I won't let the whole 5000 litres out all at once!) does this make a difference, or is it solely based on water that is 'used' i.e. passes through your household regardless of where it ends up?

Any info greatly appreciated.

P.S. It would seem unfair to have to install a meter for something that's only going to be filled up probably twice a year, considering I'd have to empty it after two weeks to let the grass grow back!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I bet it will take more than 6 hours to fill.

to fill it in 6 hours you will need a flow rate of 13.88 litres / minute.

now thats not 13.88 litres / minute out of the tap, thats 13.88 litres / minute at the end of the hose you connect to the tap.

as for water meter, no there will not be some one watching a little dial suddenly start going round faster. your question will be which neighbour told them you have a swimming pool.

it is water consumed you are charged for, after you have had it, they are not too woried what you do with it, but i would be inclined to pump it down your sewer pipe.

you said P.S. It would seem unfair to have to install a meter for something that's only going to be filled up probably twice a year, considering I'd have to empty it after two weeks to let the grass grow back!

so if i was your neighbour and i had a 10,000 litre pool (and you had no pool) would you not worry about if i was on a water meter or not, after all i would be paying same council tax etc as you, so i should pay same water bill as you yes? (even though i am using 20,000 litres more than you (i fill it up twice)

Thanks for the response.

I see what you mean about the whole neighbours thing (although it would be 10,000 litres overall, but I guess that's neither here nor there when you're talking about that much water). On the other hand, since I have just started a job at a company that has a gym, I use their facilities to shower every day now rather than have a bath at home, so overall I am probably saving the water company water throughout the year. I'm not sure they'd see it that way if they dropped round though.

My upright swimming pool hold 12,000 litres and if you're on a water metre it would only cost you approx £12 !

My water company told me if I left the garden hose on for a hour, it would cost £1 per hour !

Mine take approx 12 to 13 hours to fill up.

Oh er, I'm not on a water metre yet so far ! :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you put your pump/filter 1 hour in the morning and again in the evening, you wouldn't need to change the water providing you use the correct chemical etc....

You would be better off making a concrete base for the pool as it will killed the grass and smell!

Sponsored Links
masona said:
My upright swimming pool hold 12,000 litres and if you're on a water metre it would only cost you approx £12 !

You pay twice - the second time for putting the water down the drain, so it's about £24

ChrisR said:
You pay twice - the second time for putting the water down the drain, so it's about £24
Okay, I won't put it down the drain then ! :LOL:

You would be better off making a concrete base for the pool as it will killed the grass and smell!

It's only one of those easy-set pools (inflatable ring and then rises as you fill it with water) so probably not worth that, but would make it a darn sight easier than having to move it round the garden to spare the grass. I was trying to think of a better way of supporting it off the grass but aside from constructing a huge timber frame or extending the patio, it's just not viable.

Okay, I won't put it down the drain then !

Water companies assume what you get in, will go out down the drain, so you will get charged.

Anyone with a pool could be thoughtful about the general water wastage situation, and use it as a supply for the toilet cistern. It could be pumped in using a CH pump controlled by a float switch. Then it's only a small step to a free water supply for everything except drinking water :D

To do this you need to get the water from somewhere, er... gutters seem like a good place.(indeed, you could fill your pool from gutters, through a filter constructed in a 45 gallon plastic barrel.)

Then you need to keep the water clean. You can do this with a normal filter setup and chemical treatment, or you can stop the appalling use of chlorine which ruins everything it touches (including people!!!) and get a solar powered unit from HERE .

Now you have a swimming pool which you can fill for free (if you don't mind waiting a while), AND you can be on a meter, AND you can use excess water to supplement your water supply AND you can avoid using chlorine to make your eyes smart, your hair bleach, and your skin inflame.

Thanks Oilman, good advice here.
oilman said:
Anyone with a pool could be thoughtful about the general water wastage situation
What anger me that in London alone there is 30% water leaking in the ground and the water company won't do anything about it because they can't make money by repairing it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back