Rules for boiler in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into this house there was a sticker on the boiler, placed there at some point in the past by British Gas, that said the install was non-compliant because the boiler was in a cupboard with no ventilation.

However there is a whopping airbrick at the back rear of this cupboard directly to the outside.

Plus in any case its a modern combi room sealed boiler.

Looking at the boiler manual, it seems to be fine the way its installed apart from maybe a tiny issue with clearance on one side of the cupboard where its borderline less than required. But if the unit is not in a cupboard, or in a ventilated cupboard, I don't think any of this applies anyway.

Anyway, Im going to be removing the cupboard its in because its old and we can gain a bit of worktop space by doing so. I also intend to block up the airbrick at the back of this cupboard. Will be installing some more discrete boxing just around the pipes and under the boiler itself. Have cleaned up the plastic covers of the boiler and its all come up nice and white so with some making good to the plastering on the wall, will all look much better than some tatty old cupboard.

WL9juza.png

Sponsored Links
Oh sorry, I just was asking whether what Im planning to do is ok.

And also being unclear on why a warning sticker was attached in the first place.

Sponsored Links
What benefit will you gain from blocking the airbrick?

What benefit will you gain from blocking the airbrick?
There are about four airbricks in the kitchen, I don't think we need that many, and its making the house colder.

There is currently a gas oven, so I won't do it until we do the kitchen refurb and swap that for an electric oven.

As its an older house with solid walls we get quite a bit of condensation/moisture anyway - im trying to eliminate it but not really making much progress. I think we will have to go dehumidifier again, I tried one a few weeks back but had to return it as it was faulty.

you might be surprised to know that 90% of BG so called engineers dont have a clue, their managers make up all sorts of mad rules and they are told this is regulations, at one time BG had some really good engineers who could think for themselves, nowadays they are just company robots who dont have a clue

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back