rumbling noise with unusual pattern - what causes that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old condensing Minimiser boiler (which I plan to replace soon, but for the time being - that's what I'm stuck with), which works fine - water gets hot, central heating works. The problem is that something in the loop makes a lot of rumbling noise. Noise pattern is unusual - when boiler starts everything is perfectly nice and quiet and stays like that for 4-5 minutes. Then, for another 4-5 minutes, I can hear loud rumbling noise. Then it quiets down and everything becomes silent until the boiler powers down. The problem is that I cannot locate the source of rumbling sound - it's neither my boiler nor hot water tank and its surroundings, including all the pumps. Acoustics can be tricky, but it surely is something hidden, I guess pipework.

My question - what can cause such noise pattern? For limescale I'd expect rumbling all the time or at all. For air in the system - it should move and pattern should change. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone explain that? It's also worth mentioning that it all started a few months ago. There was no noise at all before and noise pattern is identical every single time since then.

Sponsored Links
I'd guess at pump or fan, but if you're replacing the boiler soon I shouldn't worry about it too much as it's not affecting the general operation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back