Rumbling Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed recently that the pump for my CH/DHW has started making a rumbling noise when running.

It is not constant and not all the time but is quite audible when happening.

Is this something to worry about before winter starts or just some air in it or something?

Don't want it to pack up when it's cold and I actually need it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It could be air, check the system is full of water! Could be fouled up? Could be a crap noisy old pump?
If it looks fairly old it might be worth your while replacing it before it fails in the middle of winter.
Fit a Grundfos Alpha2 circulating pump, they're good quality and are "A" rated for energy consumption, so you'll save some money on your running costs.
Make sure any system faults are rectified before fitting the new pump, otherwise you could end up killing your new pump!

Thanks

It's as old as the house so 6 years. Is that old for a pump?

A pump can last 20-30 years!

But if they are fitted to a dirty system then they can be spoilt in a few weeks. the dirt wears the pump bearings.

You should check ( of get it checked ) to see if your water is dirty.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Water is as clean as tap water! I know this because when we had a new 3-port valve fitted last year the plumber had to drain the system and commented on how clean the water coming out was.

What make of pump is it?
And in what orientation is it fitted? i.e. Do the pipe connections lie horizontally or vertically and on what plane does the pump shaft lie in relation to that. The bearings can wear prematurely if its not correctly fitted.

I have posted pictures of it as I thought it easier than trying to explain:

pump1ff3.jpg

pump2bu6.jpg

Thats installed correctly but it is just a cheap generic make pump, it might have reached the end of its life.

The fact that the bottom pump valve is resting on the clip and wooden support may be amplifying some vibration noise, possibly!

Thats a perfectly reasonable pump previously known as Myson before a management buyout. It was made in October 2001. Like any other pump they last 15-20 years on a clean system.

They are as reliable as any other pump although I do find they are slightly more susceptible to electrical faults as some other brands.

Again I expect your pump has suffered premature bearing wear as a result of dirt in the system at some time.

Tony

its a CP, they are garbage. ive seen them fail quickly on clean systems, only a CP can do that. change it for something worthwhile at your earliest opportunity as it probably wont be long before it starts leaking at the valve nuts making it a cow to get off from that position.

its a CP, they are garbage.

In that case, why did British Gas, the guardian of the highest standards in the industry, choose them as their "own brand" pump painted in a royal blue?

Tony

its a CP, they are garbage.

In that case, why did British Gas, the guardian of the highest standards in the industry, choose them as their "own brand" pump painted in a royal blue?

Tony

oh tony....man of such short memory. :LOL:

ive told you before ive no love for these. BG had them cos they were getting them cheap and when you go through 30 odd pallets a day of them that counts. some manager though they were a good deal, they finally realised they were not and struck a deal with grundfos for the same price....i think you can still order them but god knows why you would want to, maybe to keep your £84 diagnostic fee down.

and the colour is closer to azure blue than royal blue. :LOL:

BG had them cos they were getting them cheap

and because they gave them a no quibble 2(or was it 3?) year guarantee...they are indeed garbage. Anyone who's worked for BG in the past would know that :) and them stupid pump valves they started using, cheapskates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back