Running 16A outlets off a Radial

16amp sockets are mainly used for industrial purposes, what are you planning to run off the plug?

Because if your need for a 16amp plug is to run something over 13amps then when you plug something else into that 20amp radial your getting awfully close to the tripping range, which is no problem as such, but people then tend to think, Oh I'll slip a 32amp in as I'll only be using the full power for a short time. Just palying devils advocate as most 16amp plugs have their own designated supply.

Sponsored Links
The 16A outlet is for very occasional use of a compressor & welder that need a 15A feed.[/quote]

They look good .. but alreday purchased socket and 20A DP sw.

They both fitted easily onto the dual dry-lining socket box.

Thnaks anyway.

Sponsored Links
You say the welder requires 15 amp supply, is this what the welder draws or this the fuse rating required.

Check the rating plates on both the compressor and welder if either current rating is over 20/3 (6.77)amps then the MCB may well trip.

If the mcb is a type "B" then you might getaway with replacing it with a type "C", or fit a 25 amp type "B" or "C" mcb, but then you're getting into "Part P" of the Building Regs territory so be careful.

Another option is to install a soft start device within the 16 amp socket which will limit the inrush current and permit the welder to energise. I'm not sure if the compressor will like that though, and it may cause either to stall (eg poor starting of the compressor and or poor arc striking from the welder etc). I'd get a friendly electrician to check the system out before you use it in earnest.

Hope this helps.

You don't need a switch for the 16 amp socket

They look good .. but alreday purchased socket and 20A DP sw.
Well, maybe they'll come in handy for something else another time.

The Wiring Regulations require you to use shuttered sockets, but you can't get shuttered EN60309s.

You could validly argue that a socket with an interlocked switch provides an equivalent degree of safety and thus is an allowable departure, but with your proposed design you won't have a leg to stand on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back