Running 2.5mm externally around bends

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to run some 2.5mm around the passage and into the kitchen as existing old sockets have stopped working.

What is the best way to run two runs of 2.5 side by side along the ceiling corner? There will be bends as well so looking for some kind of trunking that will allow for this..dont think mini trunking will work.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I have used mini trunking without a problem, I use sticky back then use decorators caulk which makes it look better and stops it falling it off again.
Is that not against the regs in a Passage

521.11.201 Wiring systems in escape routes shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature collapse in the event of fire. The requirements of Regulation 422.2.1 shall also apply, irrespective of the classification of the conditions for evacuation in an emergency.

NOTE 1: Non-metallic cable trunking or other non-metallic means of support can fail when subject to either direct flame or hot products of combustion. This may lead to wiring systems hanging across access or egress routes such that they hinder evacuation and firefighting activities.

NOTE 2: This precludes the use of non-metallic cable clips, cable ties or trunking as the sole means of support. For example, where non-metallic trunking is used, a suitable fire-resistant means of support/retention must be provided to prevent cables falling out in the event of fire.

Sponsored Links
Is that not against the regs in a Passage .... 521.11.201 Wiring systems in escape routes shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature collapse in the event of fire....
. and seemingly probably far more widely than just in 'escape routes' in just a few months' time :) (has the LFB struck again, I wonder?)

Kind Regards, John

. and seemingly probably far more widely than just in 'escape routes' in just a few months' time :) (has the LFB struck again, I wonder?)

Kind Regards, John
I heard that, do you know when exactly, is it in the 18th regs july 1st

I heard that, do you know when exactly, is it in the 18th regs july 1st
Yes and yes (assuming, that is, that it stays 'per draft') ...
BS7671:2018 DPC said:
Chapter 52 Selection and erection of wiring systems
Regulation 521.11. 201 giving requirements for the methods of support of wiring systems in escape routes has been replaced by a new Regulation 521.10.202. This is a significant change. The new Regulation 521.10.202 requires cables to be adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire. This applies throughout the installation. Not just in escape routes.

Kind Regards, John

Don't have them on the surface then, simples.

I never did look at the DPC - what is the exact wording of 521.10.202? Is "premature" defined?

Because if not......

Chapter 52 Selection and erection of wiring systems
Regulation 521.11. 201 giving requirements for the methods of support of wiring systems in escape routes has been replaced by a new Regulation 521.10.202. This is a significant change. The new Regulation 521.10.202 requires cables to be adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire. This applies throughout the installation. Not just in escape routes.
Years ago this could be done, however
asbestos_rawplug.jpg
when this was banned then we were forced to revert to plastic rawplugs, I have not found any replacement other than very large metal units which are not affected by heat, yes you can put clips inside the trunking but those clips are again only held with plastic rawplugs.

"premature collapse" is rather open, health and safety wise unless some one is inside a house the fireman should not enter if he is likely to be trapped, unless we have a fire sign on the door saying this house has modern fire resistance fittings then how do they know if safe to enter?

OK with a old peoples home with people who can not get out without assistance and even then long corridors, but in a private house what is the point? So looking at reported fires in the area it does seem the fire brigade have a very slow response time, OK car park not a house, but it seems from reports they took 12 minutes for first appliance to arrive, that is in a fire a long time, since new houses now need a sprinkler system, I assume because the fire brigade is so slow, it seems a bit daft to worry about rawplugs melting and wires falling out.

Even parts of the concrete floor melted, and you are worried about cables dropping, get real.

That must leave you a little ill-informed.
Indeed.

But that would only be an issue were I to make ill-informed comments about it, and I don't believe I have. AFAICT I asked a question about it on the grounds that I haven't read it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back