Running a cable through a pattress

owe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm short on space so need to have 2 single sockets, one above the other. The cable (green line) from socket 2 at the top needs to drop straight down to get back to the ring, is it ok to run the cable through socket 1's pattress box?

View media item 90695

Sponsored Links
Absolutely fine.

It can make changing the pattress at a later date awkward, but who cares about that?

• Thanks
Reactions: owe
Sponsored Links
I don't know whether that is just 'diagramatic', or whether it illustrates the actual planned layout of the wiring. If the latter, the two feeds to the ring (after they have done 90 degree turns) would, if buried in walls, not be in permitted 'safe zones' - they would need to come out of the sides of the lower socket, and travel horizontally, to be in safe zones.

Kind Regards, John

I don't like sockets one above the other. The cable from the upper plug gets in the way of the lower one.

I don't like sockets one above the other. The cable from the upper plug gets in the way of the lower one.
Here you go, Winston, sorted:

screenshot_375.jpg

Ding! Next, please.

if you leave some spare length in the unbroken cable it can be cut and joined at a later date if necessary.

Or run it behind the pattress box.

if you leave some spare length in the unbroken cable it can be cut and joined at a later date if necessary.
True - but, in reality, it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would ever want to remove the lower box without also removing (or, at least, doing something to the wiring to) the upper one.

However, as EFLI suggested, perhaps the neatest solution would to have just the lower socket on the ring, with the upper one being a spur from it. No cable would then have to go 'through', or 'behind', the bottom box.

Kind Regards, John

No scale on the drawing is there....

OP does its close, but not in what way, if ones at worktop height and ones at under counter height....

Daniel

I don't know whether that is just 'diagramatic', or whether it illustrates the actual planned layout of the wiring. If the latter, the two feeds to the ring (after they have done 90 degree turns) would, if buried in walls, not be in permitted 'safe zones' - they would need to come out of the sides of the lower socket, and travel horizontally, to be in safe zones.

Kind Regards, John

yes this is just diagramatic, the cables will just be straight up and down

Make 2 a spur.
I did think about that, but I thought seeing as I was going to the effort of adding 2 sockets I might as well have them both part of the ring
That's a laudable view (ideally one would never have any spurs from a ring final) but, quite frankly, when it's just one single socket, very close to the first, I think to have it as a spur might be the most convenient solution.

Kind Regards, John

Make 2 a spur.
I did think about that, but I thought seeing as I was going to the effort of adding 2 sockets I might as well have them both part of the ring
That's a laudable view (ideally one would never have any spurs from a ring final) but, quite frankly, when it's just one single socket, very close to the first, I think to have it as a spur might be the most convenient solution.

Kind Regards, John

was going to be running a hair dryer and straighteners from these 2 sockets... no issue with either of these on a spur is there??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back