Running a current through garage door handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agile said:
"""I was told be a police officer that if we ban a shoplifter from our shop, and they come in again and steal, its BURGLARY and they will be sent to prison"""

Thats total nonsence !

The crime of Burglary requires that the premises are broken into first!

As far as attacking the burglar, you are only entitled to use reasonable force to eject them from your property.

The son of an East End gangster I once knew found someone breaking into his van and attacked him with a hammer! The victim never made any complaint to the police!

Tony

I was under the impression they burglary was tresspass and taking without consent.

Take the example of a house being burgled - someone forgot to lock the back door. It is still burglary, and the person who is burgling is still a burglar, because even though no force was used to gain entry, he is trespassing, he doesn't have permission to be on the premises.

Same applies to shops - when someone gets barred, and comes in and steals something, it's burglary! They have no right to be in the shop, and therefore EVEN LESS right to steal something. They are trespassing, in the same way as the example above.

Breaking and entering (had the back door been smashed in) carries a heavier penalty, but AFAIK, burglary usually carries a prison sentence.

Sponsored Links
i've read 6 pages of threads with great interest...Now to save all this messing about first of take all the valubles out of your garage,Park your car at your friends or relations house...NEXT..Go get a clapped out Reliant Robin--Put in garage and leave door ajar..NEXT..Lay a pressure mat (silent alarm)inside the doorway, and upon scumbags entrance into your garage he/they stand on your silent alarm which in-turn alerts you to your cctv....You watch in glee as the scumbags run off shouting !!!!!!!!

what's this area coming to i wouldn't be seen dead driving one of them things......

there you go...put your car back....sleep easy... :LOL:

Agile, I suggest you talk to a police officer who is actually informed of the law. In relation to the theft act 1968 a person commits a burglary if he enters a building or any part of a building as a trespasser and steals anything therein, damages anything therein, or commits gbh or rape. He can also commit a burglary with intent to do those things.

That means a person can walk into a hotel quite legitamitly as a guest, or a shop as a customer, but the moment any part of his body goes into a private area, ie behind the shop counter, then he is tresspassing, and if he steals or has the intent to do so, then he has committed a burglary. Cps do not prosecute shoplifting as burglary per se, as it is felt it would be an abuse of process as there is a more suitable specific charge, ie theft under the theft act 1968

Anyway why is everybody talking about a two year old thread?

Thermo said:
it got locked earlier, then i wanted to reply to agile's last post (the one i quoted above) so i made a new topic, and mods moved it here and re-opened the thread

(i commented that it made no sense to lock this thread after about 20 replies have been made in the last week - why wasn't it locked when the first new reply was made :rolleyes: )

(my comments about the mod's lack of logic were deleted, however. logically.:cool: )

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
Because one of our resident thugs saw it as a good way to promote his belief that it's OK to murder people who attempt to steal from you.

ban-all-sheds said:
Thermo said:
Because one of our resident thugs saw it as a good way to promote his belief that it's OK to murder people who attempt to steal from you.

course it is BAS if they come into your home they come to KILL you or do you know differently

if anyone goes into a property these days and the owner sees them you have to assume the worst and that is they are going to KILL you

so its fair to assume your going to kill them first :LOL:

the best thing to do in this situation is to get some string and a chair go in side the garage and lace the chair some 10 foot away from the garage door ,then tie the string around the inside of the garage door handle and at the other end get some good sticky tape like closure tape,
and tape a 12 bore shotgun across the chair and tie the other part of the string to the trigger.

have fun....hee hee hee

agile.. you are wrong... though reality is that CPS will go for theft as opposed to burglary.

'The police' act on the laws that exist...yet so many of the public slag off the cops and so many seem to shoot the messenger or the enforcer.. ie the police, yet they do not now ,ake the decision on prosecutions.

Maybe your post code plays a part? where I live the police attend criminal damage.

cctv is governed by law... protecting every day law abiding people.
The police have to abide by it too.
They can apply to be allowed to video for example in specific instances.

When the patrol cars video 'routinely ' this
is legal.

and as for electrifying your property.... what if the cops are chasing the said burglar???? through your garden? do they deserve to be electricuted?

what happens when you ring treble nine for help and the cops attend to be electrocuted?

when you dont know... you should perhaps ask rather than assume.

theres no reason why a private cctv recording would not be admissable. The CIPA act only applies to the police and only in certain circumstances, unless they get certain levels of authority for it. Very complicated bit of legislation but i can bore the pants off of you with it if you want! :D

as far as i knew until recently, the only thing you needed with CCTV was a sign saying that it is in operation - or in a shop, a monitor by the door showing people walking in - anything to let people know they are on camera. Never knew you needed a license.

ban-all-sheds said:
reggie perrin said:
Couldn't be bothered to read all the bleeding-heart replies.
What you mean is you aren't prepared to properly think through the implications of allowing people to kill others if they believe they are attempting to steal from them, as grasping the reality of the sort of society we would end up with would not fit with your idiotic views.

I grew up in a time when an Englishman's home was his castle and that view was backed up by the courts.

If someone was to enter my house for nefarious purposes I would do anything to put that person down - whatever the implications.

Idiotic views? Nah, you've been blinded by B'Liar's Britain matey.

notb665 said:
I have seen beamed, invisible electric fences in pet shops to keep dogs in a garden. Might these be adapted for what you want?

Or maybe you could smear something nasty on the handle. Heh heh heh.

I know this post is two year's old, but seeing as I know you're still about, are you sure these things really exist, or are you just thinking of that Hammer House of Horror episode where Peter Cushing ran the pet shop and kept those two people in a cage downstairs ???

Back to the subject, the law quite clearly allows you to take whatever steps are necessary to protect your property or to disable any threat caused by someone being on your property, as evidenced by the very small number of convictions for people that have gone too far. The idea that anyone genuinely restraining a burglar is going to find themselves locked up for assault is largely a story put out by the 'angry at why britain is now such a pile of w**k'-brigade press (The Express and The Sun, for example) to keep people's levels of bitterness running at the high level they seek. What you are not allowed to do is effect your own punishment beatings once you have stopped someone - that's for the police to carry out... ;)

The original idea of wiring up a door handle is just stupid. There are perfectly legitimate reasons why someone may brush against your door handle or even try it - a postman looking for somewhere to leave a parcel for example.

johnny_t said:
Back to the subject, the law quite clearly allows you to take whatever steps are necessary to protect your property or to disable any threat caused by someone being on your property

johnb80 said:
If anyone breaks into my property I would attack with any means available to me
Slogger said:
if anyone goes into a property these days and the owner sees them you have to assume the worst and that is they are going to KILL you

so its fair to assume your going to kill them first
BOB.DOLE said:
the best thing to do in this situation is to get some string and a chair go in side the garage and lace the chair some 10 foot away from the garage door ,then tie the string around the inside of the garage door handle and at the other end get some good sticky tape like closure tape,
and tape a 12 bore shotgun across the chair and tie the other part of the string to the trigger.

have fun....hee hee hee
reggie perrin said:
If someone was to enter my house for nefarious purposes I would do anything to put that person down

I think that you, and all the other raving, raging, vigilante thugs will need to restrain your desire to kill an intruder should you ever encounter one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back