Running a hdmi wire side across the room

Ni

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to get a hdmi wire across from my amp to my tv which have to be on opposite sides of the room due to layout issues. I have to take wire up wall then diagonally across the ceiling before coming back down wall and out again.

I am thinking of chasing it the whole way- but am concerned about leaving a scar and chasing across the ceiling. Wonder if it might also be possible to feed up cavitys and somehow across ceiling.

All of the Walls are internal stud Walls and I am fairly sure they are insulated. I don't have access to the floor above my ceiling as t is a flat.

Any help would be great.

r

Sponsored Links
I don't think hdmi cables come within 7671, but shorly it would be more attractive to run the cable round the skirting board, like a telephone cable, than channeling the wall and ceiling!

Thanks for the reply. Running cable along the skirting is not an option as the route is broken by floor to ceiling windows. Besides I hate the site of wires!!

7676?

would it not be simplier to run the cable under your floor covering?

Sponsored Links
So how long is the cable gonna end up being? 15m is max. effective distance before repeating signal.

Thanks- can't go under the floor as of is solid. 15 meters should be enough.

What about feeding up the cavities I have seen all these wire fishing tools, but then how to get across the ceiling?

Thanks everyone!

Feeding up the wall should be easy, if its not insulated.

As for the ceiling, can you get above and work from there?

Question: Is it YOUR flat or rented? If renting, the landlord may not take kindly to you embedding wires in his walls.

I don't see why you don't just use some SA1 trunking, or the smallest you can get.
You say you hate seeing wires, but is your diy good enough to patch over, rub down and then repaint the holes you will create if you manage to embed the cable without any show?

as str says can you not go under the floor covering? FLAT HDMI cables are on the market now so there wouldnt be much or a bump in your carpet.

Thanks but will not settle for trunking has to be hidden, and it is my flat. No carpet I'm affraid that would make this v easy.

I am now thinking that the wire goes up the cavity of the 1st wall then across the ceiling cavity, the first wall backs on to a storage cupboard which I could make a larger whole in then use a pole or something to push it across to the other side of the room, before dropping back down 2nd wall. Or does that sound a little far fetched?!!

move your amp? what floorcovering do you have down at the moment? Can you remove the skirting and run behind there. Far easier to replace and repair skirts than channeled groves in the walls and ceiling.

If I move amp I would only have to channel sky wires etc Cant go along skirts as they stop at floor to ceiling windows. Floor is laminate.

Anyone see any feasibility of feeding wires across ceiling?

With todays technology isn't there some kind of wireless system you could use?

Yes belkin flywire is a wireless hdmi system however it isn't available as far as I know yet in UK and is set to cost £800. I have also found that flatwire have made a totally flat hdmi wire which can be painted over (I have used there flat speaker wire successfully as well, again this wire isn't available in the UK yet.

Could I get the american version perhaps is it the same stuff?

Thanks

forget the belkin wireless, im using this in my second home in tenerife. The place is built from concrete and tiled floors etc so same problem as yourself! I tried the belkin and its crap. My next plan is to lower the ceiling with a void and plaster board then plaster to get wires where i would like.

My second choice is to install new floors (as thats what i do ) and fit english skirting on a clip sytem so i can run wires, but still stuck at doors etc like yourself!

This laminate you have, hows the expansion gap covered at the door/windows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back