Running A Washing Machine From Hot or Cold Supply Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only after writing the plea for help below did I think to do a search of the site and my answers to Q's 1&2

Cutting a long story short - on Saturday I was fitting an oak threshold between two rooms and drilled through the cold supply to the utility room. Looked funny but wasn't really.

The pipes are run within the concrete floor [of the back room] without the benefit of additional sleeving/ducting so a major job to re-instate. I have not yet located just where they connect into the hot and cold supplies but am thinking of running the washing machine from the cold supply only.

Q. 1 - Can I simply connect just the cold supply (by swapping the cold supply to the utility onto he cold circuit) or do I need to blank off the hot inlet on the washing machine?

Q. 2 - Can I run from just the hot supply until I locate the point at which the hot and cold feeds to the utility connect int eh the respective main circuits?

Q.3 - Forlorn hope this one - but is there any way that I could make a lasting repair which could be concreted over?

Any advice other, than moving house or strangling the idiot who built the extension to this house, gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Q1
if you just block the hot on your washing machine some cycles wont work
use one of these from the cold supply and then connect both water feed pipes to it
http://www.casaparts.co.uk/products/id-01090909

Q2
if you connect just the hot to your washer , 1st it is a little inefficient and also the clothes will spin in hot water and come out hot

Q3
if its the copper water pipe that is leaking , then you can get the appropiate copper pipe work to fix it properly

Sponsored Links
quick question for rocks

???Y hoses supplied with all new hotpoints ???

Are they going back to twin inlet valves (hot/cold, or seperate for wash/rinse etc) instead of the single unit ones (2/3 valves with one inlet)

they gone back to twin valves still cold supply and rinse .same as wd that hose fits them as well .it will fit the older ones but on cold supply only.

i just bought a new hotpoint and it was cold fill only. i was told by hotpoint that all of their machines are now cold fill only.

hotpoint cold fill has been around for 5 years 2004 was the last of the hot fill, most mcs are cold fill for at least 3 years now .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back