Running cable in eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it within regs to rough in cable within the eaves of an outbuilding for sockets and lights? It's technically inside but then again outside of the parameter, which is it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
By eaves, do you mean accessible from the loft space?

There is no loft space as it's a flat roof. So rather than punch holes through the ceiling joists to run the cables I'm wanting to know if it's acceptable to run within the eaves (Therefore under the ceiling joists on the outer wall parameter but concealed within the eaves which consists of a facia and soffit).

is this an outbuilding that has to look elegant?

if no, you could use surface minitrunking.

if yes, paint the trunking to match the wall, and fix it in the wall/ceiling junction.

How do you plan to run the cables down to the sockets and switches?

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling is down, and you can make holes in the joists, this would be preferred.

My running cables through the eaves, you would have to be sure that the cables can't easily be drilled or screwed through, if hidden by soffit and fascia.

is this an outbuilding that has to look elegant?

if no, you could use surface minitrunking.

if yes, paint the trunking to match the wall, and fix it in the wall/ceiling junction.

How do you plan to run the cables down to the sockets and switches?

Ideally concealed. The cables are ran within the wall.

It's basically to get to one side of a wall to the opposite 1.5 metres away. I guess it's no different than the cable for downlighters in the soffit.

If the ceiling is down, and you can make holes in the joists, this would be preferred.

My running cables through the eaves, you would have to be sure that the cables can't easily be drilled or screwed through, if hidden by soffit and fascia.

Joists are only 68mm. It's a lightweight structure (i.e. shed).

That's my reasoning for wanting to run through the eaves tbh. They are much less likely to be screwed into in there than say someone screwing a ceiling hook into the joist which happens to be where the cable run is.

Ideally concealed. The cables are ran within the wall.

If you mean "chased into the plaster" then you can run your cables, horizontally, all round the room, at the level of your sockets.

This is actually very convenient and economical as you do not waste effort and materials going up and down.

If you use oval conduit between the sockets you can easily, if you wish, cut into the row and add more sockets or switches later if and when the need arises.

It is a method especially useful in workshops, kitchens and offices where you need quite a lot of sockets.

you say it is a shed so don't give yourself unnecessary work with a less-satisfactory method.

There is a door between the run. The options are:

1. Surface mount across adjoinment of ceiling/wall - don't really want to do if I can help.
2. Run through ceiling joist - but joists thin and thus don't want to drill the holes.
3. Route cable to the opposite outer side of the wall through the eaves (passing under the joists) to bypass door then back in - question is this acceptable as it is the easiest and quickest option.

I know I also have the option to run horizontally but I never like to do this as there is a much higher chance someone will screw something else in at the same height as what the sockets will be. I'm therefore wanting to keep everything virtical and around the top parameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back