Running cables in galvanised trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cabling fo the ground floor ring, cooker radial and lighting for a cellar etc running from the consumer unit down the wall and through to underneath the floor.

Obviously I'd like to hide them but in a safe (!) way.

Was thinking of putting them all in one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/UVT2.html

Is there a problem with all the cables running next to each other? Am I right in thinking the trunking should be earthed?

Sponsored Links
diyhell said:
Is there a problem with all the cables running next to each other?
There could be, but it's fairly big. Hopefully someone with design software and/or data tables covering conduit factors will come riding up soon. They will probably want to know the rating of the cooker radial, and the cable size.

Am I right in thinking the trunking should be earthed?
That would be a Good Idea.

OOI - why metal trunking? Are the cables in particular need of mechanical protection? Wouldn't white PVC look neater? Or DIY wooden enclosure, papered and/or painted to match?

Had just thought it would better to have steel mechanical protection and cover that in something pretty. Maybe it's overkill for a couple of metres in a corner?

Cooker radial's planned in 6mm cable but only expected to take a sub 13amp oven & ignitor on fused spurs at present so using 16amp MCB.

diyhell said:
Had just thought it would better to have steel mechanical protection and cover that in something pretty. Maybe it's overkill for a couple of metres in a corner?
I would say so, particularly if you can fit something like this and not need to decorate it:

MTMX2.jpg

but OTOH, you can only have insufficient protection, not too much... :D

Cooker radial's planned in 6mm cable but only expected to take a sub 13amp oven & ignitor on fused spurs at present so using 16amp MCB.
Best to assume the worst case of a (future) 32A rating on the radial.

According to my OSG (Blue :oops: ), the cable factors for a 1.5, 2x2.5 and a 6mm total 53, and 50 x 50 metal trunking has a rating of 1037, so I think you'll be OK.

I'd still like my verdict confirmed by an expert though...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ban - didn't know you has such a fetish for white uPVC ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back