Extending an electrical lighting cable in porch

Sponsored Links
You mean you are an electrician and don't know how to solder?

Winston. I do know how to solder but it is the OP who is asking for help and advice.

I also know the problems that can arise when soldering PVC insulated conductors, you need to point those out if you are recommending the OP to solder the conductors.

Sponsored Links
Seen too many solid cores working loose in crimps to distrust them

That's down to improperly sized crimps, incorrect tool or poor quality materials - A solid core will behave no differently to a stranded cable if the crimp is the same size. In the process of crimping there should be no air gaps.

If you're finding a stranded core is behaving differently to a solid core conductor, then the stranded core is likely to have been pinched and is not mechanically sound anyway.

That's down to improperly sized crimps, incorrect tool or poor quality materials -
Yes, but that's all most people will have.

A solid core will behave no differently to a stranded cable if the crimp is the same size. In the process of crimping there should be no air gaps.
It will in the rubbish oversized squash-flat crimps most people will buy.

In my opinion the best way is to solder the extension and cover with self amalgamating tape.
Any useful tips you can give on this process to give a strong, reliable joint?

Whilst I have no doubt that the op can solder, I wouldn't want him to do it one way, only to discover there is a better way.

There are good soldered joints and bad ones.

Which method are you suggesting is used?

Most people who offer information like that that would be happy to go on to describe how to do the job.

[Waits for explanation]

I'm suggesting a good soldered joint, no ta bad one. The OP has said he knows how to solder. I've no intension of teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs.

I'm suggesting a good soldered joint, no ta bad one

https://www.instructables.com/Soldering-Tutorial-Inline-Splicing/

or

https://www.instructables.com/Splice-Cable-Like-A-Rocket-Scientist/

F6TSAYAI9E1EDN0.jpg

How does the heat shrink not shrink with the heat of the soldering,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back