Running CAT5 from loft to ground? Stud wall tips needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run CAT5 from the loft where a patch panel will be enabling me to run HDTV over the whole house.

Looked about on the net abit for not really found much to give me a guide on the best way to route the cables though the stud walls.

I have some guide rods from screwfix but there are horizontal noggins every 100cm odd apart. And i suspect that the upstairs floorboard does not stop between rooms.....how do i get around this?

What is the best way of being able to guide the cable though them?

Sponsored Links
A technique that works is a flat wood bit, and an extension bar for it, go a bit below the noggin and drill at a upwards angle (or bit above and drill down at angle), do this for all nogins in a line, then feed the draw rods through, use a bit of offcut earth from a twin bent round into a hook to poke through the holes to get hole of the rod and guide it through the next one... can be tricky at times, but works in the end

Then simply plaster over the holes

(if there are not many cables... you don't mind making a little more mess and you don't care about being able to draw more cable through, just remove the board in front of the nogin, run the cable over it, and plaster over it!)

just remove the board in front of the nogin, run the cable over it, and plaster over it!)

In my opinion this is the quickest and easiest way, but once you have the section of noggin exposed, you can drill a cm or two horizontally with a forstner bit and route several cables through there.

I've had the extension bits spin out of control before after finding it wasn't perfectly straight, so I don't use them anymore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back