Running conduit for Virgin and BT cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there

So I'm currently planning out our new extension, which will include an integrated garage.
As part of the garage, I'm planning on relocating some computer gear into a dedicated rack. I also want to relocate our existing BT and Virgin business services to the same location.

As I'm going to be digging up the driveway anyway, I'm thinking it would make sense to run conduit to enable the new cables to be pulled in easily and to where I want them without having to clip to the side of the house or drill holes...

Has anyone done anything similar? Any pointers on how best to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Good idea, I don't like cables strung along walls. If you run conduit, then it would need to be reasonably straight/ no elbows or bends unless some access were left at the bends. A draw wire will need to be left in there as well. I have no suggestions on size needed, but 25mm conduit should be adequate.

It is unlikely VM will agree to move the termination boxes without significant cost, as the new 54mm duct would need to come from the 96mm under the highway or footpath.

It will probably be simpler for you to run cable internally from the existing termination point to the location where you would like your equipment; all cables in the house are meant to be terminated there for VM anyways.

VM spec is:

RG6/RG59 Coaxial Cable
Triple shielded white Coaxial cable, "supplied by Virgin Media" but its made by Amphenol.
Broadband Solutions.

Sponsored Links
The bigger size you can use the greater your ability to use it better in future.
ISTR VM use a pipe that looks like 50mm to me.
Leave a drawstring in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back