Running services under attic trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a new house (for me) which will have rooms in the roof. As it is a new, very airtight house it will have a mechanical ventilation system which will require ducting to most of the rooms.

Is there a standard way of running services under attic trusses? Do you create a false ceiling and run all the services in the void? (If so, how do you do it?) I could go for Posi-Attic trusses which would solve the problem but I am not sure which solution would leave me with the most headroom.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
What size trunking are we talking?

You can get fairly discreet stuff maybe only a 70 or 80mm tall.

I am assuming that at least some of the ducting will be 100 mm (or more).

I think we need a bit more info'.

When you say a ventillation system, what exactly do you mean?

Do you have a link?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the pictures on this link.

http://www.villavent.co.uk/pdf/self_build_project_guide.pdf

The main unit is mounted in a cupboard or loft and the supply and extract ducts then run to most rooms. Good practice seems to be to use solid ducting rather than flexible because you get a better airflow. Depending on the size and power of the machine, the ducts that leave the machine are often about 150mm but as they branch they become smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back