running water noise coming from the immersion heather/water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

In my flat there is an electric immersion heather (with a timer, so it works daily from 2 am to 7 am) and a large water tank. Two days ago around midnight I heard some noise coming from the cupboard where the tank is, like running water, with some gurgling sound too.

I thought that there could be some air inside and looked for an air release valve but not really knowing much about plumbing I couldn’t find it. the following morning the noise had not stopped so I contacted my landlord, who would send a plumber. I then emptied the cupboard where the tank is and in doing so I found what I deemed being the air realise valve I was looking for. I opened it and indeed a lot of air came out of it but the gurgling sound didn’t entirely stop. I switched it off and the noise went on, so I switched it on again and I went to work. A few hours later, when I came home for letting the plumber in the sound had stopped entirely. I explained to the plumber what I had done and I left to go back to the office while he was completing his assessment.
He left a note saying that I could keep using the heather without any problem because there is hot water but to switch it off in case the noise returned. He also wrote that “the bottom immersion and the temperature relief valve have to be replaced” and that he would send a quote to the landlord. Is that reasonable? To me, it seems an overkill but that is just an impression, based in the circumstance that nothing has been done and yet there is no more noise and the water is hot.

This case seems similar to the one described here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/please-help-immersion-heater-problem.178964/ but I don't know.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hi a photo of the offending unit would help in giving advice if its a megaflow the air gap would need regenerating .

Mark

When you returned home after the plumber had left did you notice that your wife's bottom drawer had been opened and rummaged?

Hi, here's some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7413.JPG
    IMG_7413.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7412.JPG
    IMG_7412.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
Hi Henry this air bleed you let the air out of was it on top of the little white cylinder at the top ? If so you nee to get a plumber with unvented ticket to refill the pre charge on the expansion vessel as there won't be any now.

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply. No, I simply turned the green knob connected on the larger tank. The air came out, with some water, from that opening (see picture)

Attachments

• IMG_7414.JPG
    IMG_7414.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 142

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back