Running wire overhead to garage plz help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, short background. I have bought a house and stripped it of its wire all the wayto the breaker box. I've re-ran all the wire staying up to local codes that i can find. But now i'm venturing out to the garage where i want just a simple 20A circuit( light switch and 1 20gfci outlet) And i can not afford to trench it. So my only option is overhead. It is only about a 50-65 Ft. run from the breaker box in the basement of my house. i'm confused on what i need to run to the garage...Do i use SWA from the accual box in the basement all the way to a 30maRCD in the garage?(if so what exactly do i need for the glands where it enters and exits?) or do i run regular NM-b 12/2 from the box to where it exits the house , put it in conduit, run it across to the garage and down to a RCD? plz any help would be appreciated. I will be having this inspected by my local code guy who by now is tired of me calling :oops:

Sponsored Links
IIRC what you ameriacans call armoured cable is very different from our SWA

You really need to someone who understands american cable types and how your local regs (which from what I can gather tend to be based on the NEC but make changes over it) to advise you. We could tell you what would meet british regs but I sense that wouldn't be very usefull to you.

Sponsored Links
Back