Russian Plane Lands in Field

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I find it odd that the landing gear was not deployed in the descent.

Sponsored Links
Possible reasons
- Dropping landing gear increases drag (and is used to slow plane), but in this case might have caused so much drag that would have stalled plane (as engines were off).
- Pilot might have decided that Dropping landing gear on field might have caused gear to snag on furrowed field surface and possibly cause pitching or rotation.
- Might not have been enough time to get to the action to drop landing gear as they worked through checklist to drop landing gear (IF it was at end of checklist).
- NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE - if no engine and if no APU (or RAT), then their might not have been enough power to drop landing gear.
- Might simply have not been enough time - pilot too busy flying.

My guess is first two.

And this is the person I normally go to get the experienced info which includes details on the RAT deployment (note that this is a different video to the one above):
SFK

Last edited:
I find it odd that the landing gear was not deployed in the descent.

From a reliable source in the aviation industry

"" Rosaviatsia reported right after becoming airborne the aircraft collided with a flock of sea gulls, their entry into the engines caused significant interruptions in their work. The crew decided to land straight ahead. The forced landing took place in a corn field between middle and outer marker (of the ILS landing system opposite direction). The aircraft landed with the gear retracted, both engines were shut down just prior to touch down. All 226 passengers and 7 crew were evacuated via slides. Affected passengers were promptly taken to a medical facility in Zhukovsky, the other passengers were taken back to Zhukovsky Airport. ""

A belly landing ( landing gear up ) is safer in many type of aircraft as the landing gear struts when stowed are less likley to be driven up through the wing and puncture a fuel tank.

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE - if no engine and if no APU (or RAT),

I wondered that, then found this...

upload_2019-8-16_10-53-31.png

This is from an Air Berlin A321-211 (i.e. the correct type of plane).

"Gravity Gear Extension Pull" (it actually says Pull & Turn)

Sponsored Links
Phenomenal piloting skills under extreme pressure, hats off to him.

Rsgaz,
Yes but I doubt that the "Gravity Gear Extension Pull" would be on an Engine Failure checklist.
Specifically because using Gravity does not garentee that all three undercarriages 'lock' in place, and you would not wish to add a potential problem to another more major problem.

SFK

In a hard landing on a soft surface would the landing gear possibly dig into the soil and force the plane to ditch?

In a hard landing on a soft surface would the landing gear possibly dig into the soil and force the plane to ditch?

..and probably ripped the fuel tanks wide open - the aircraft had just taken off so possibly a full load of fuel. Disaster well avoided!

SirGalahad,
Yes, landing-gear, wingtip, or engine can all cause plane to pitch or rotate.
Or as Bernard said, be driven up through the wing and puncture a fuel tank.
Pilot did exceptional job AND was lucky.

This pilot was less lucky (in part because the hijackers were stupid and demanded to fly further than the available fuel would allow, and was the pilots third hijacking).

Would the pilot have enough time to dump fuel on that Russian flight.

As that vide pointed out - lucky it was daylight and lucky there was a cornfield. If this was say Heathrow is there somewhere nearby you could land a plane like this?

Sir Galahad,
The A321 cannot dump fuel as it is not equipped to do so.
(Tends to be on bigger aircraft that need to loose weight to be able to land on runway).
Also note that dumping fuel is slow to undertake - could be carrying 23tonnes of fuel.
SFK

How many cases have their been of twin engine failures leading to emergency landing that didnt end in disaster?

SirGalahad,
End in Disaster is a difficult term.
It is a disaster when all engines fail.
It is a successful landing if you walk away from the plane (no matter what the condition of the plane).

Wiki has a list of flights that required gliding.
It is what a consider a short list at about 33.
I was surprised to see that a large proportion (about 18) had zero fatalities.
And only 1 with 100% fatalities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airline_flights_that_required_gliding

SFK

Quality control in Russia is pretty p*** poor to say the least

Aeroflot pre flight checks generally amount to kicking the tyres

Sponsored Links
Back