Rusted Column Radiator - Fixable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have a two year old column radiator where the paint was bubbling up/rusting over the past year. After picking off the cracked paint I've found the leak on the bottom of the blank valve (where the PTFE tape is, i put that on so it looks **** haha).

Usually i'd just replace the radiator but finding the same size to match the pipework is proving very difficult/expensive.

Any idea from the pics below if this is fixable?

IMG-20230219-214352.jpg

IMG-20230219-214409.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the leak has stopped, I would be tidying up that ptfe, get a new blank plug and you could attempt to paint it

Drain it down, take all the connections off it, and take it off to your local powder coating company to have it refinished.

Sponsored Links
If it's a diy fix then the blank comes out (if it can) and flatten back to good metal then rust treat it. Then flatten again and then a couple of coats of hammerite it. You will never be able to colour match it though unless you do the whole rad and it'll never be back to the way it was but you could probably cover most of it.

Unfortunately if it was your taping that caused it then the warranty, if any, would be lost.

post a pic of the complete rad and the sizes, someone might be able to source one cheaper for you, personnally I wouldnt bother trying to repair that it will pinhole soon

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back