Rusty Chisels and Files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a garage flood, I was lucky that most tools and materials escaped unharmed. However I have some chisels (average quality) and some files (really good ones) that are now rusty. Do I write these off or can they be saved? The files do still function but they don't look very nice and they can leave rusty marks on wood.

Sponsored Links
Files on wood?? Tut tut :eek: Actually, give them a wire brushing and then use them on metal for a bit.....the rust will go eventually.
As for the chisels, go over them with emery cloth, maybe 160 grit and oil prior to sharpening.
John :)

The rusty marks will go over time as the rust goes. You could try a wire brush on the files though.

Use some wire wool on the chisels, or even fine sand paper.

Classic car and bike fans in the USA swear by molasses - treacle to you and me
Do a search

Sponsored Links
300 or 400 grit paper. on the chisels, wire brush on the files.

An oily rag will get the surface rust off and stop the tool transfering brown marks to the work piece.

Lol at tools that "don't look very nice". "Broken in" is the phrase, and that's how they should look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back