Ryobi 18v li-Ion 4.0ah battery life issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought two new Ryobi 4.0ah battery's and charger, well in fact bought them with a hammer drill as part of a package for £155 as worked out you got a free drill and charger instead of buying the battery's for £75 each at b&q.

I mainly needed them to power my old Ryobi blue +ONE impact driver and my new angle grinder to use breaking Land Rovers when I don't have access to electric. I also bought the hand held vacuum for round the house.

Problem is so far the battery's are not lasting at all, I used the angle grinder with a fully charged battery and cutting disc to cut off the cat on a Range Rover and on the first cut, it started cutting out about half way though, I looked at the battery indicator and it was down to one light in only a couple of mins. Charged it up then used the grinder the next day with a grinding disc to lightly grind the edges of a home made breaker bar I'd just cut with an electric 9" grinder, 10 mins or so down to one light again even though I'd only used it for light grinding. I had one light left to take some wheel nuts off with the impact driver which I just about did.

I got back home where I'd left the other battery on the handheld Hoover, the misses told me she only managed 3 quarters of the stairs with it before it started cutting out. She left it for a few seconds and then it worked again before cutting out again same as my grinder and down to one light.

I honestly thought these battery's were meant to last ages reading reviews etc with workmen saying they are powering tools all day etc.

Is it really possible I have two faulty battery's, I would have thought maybe one but not two?

Be interesting to know what people on here are really getting out of Ryobi's top of the line battery.

Sponsored Links
i have 4 and they are all work fine
do you have ultra thin disks in the grinder ??
i use mine on vacuum strimmer router[p600] chop saw as the heavy draw tools
plus the usual others
are you leaving them on charge untill the charger goes green ??
how old are the batteries marked on the base as year and week
what charger are you using and how long do they take to charge ??

10 minutes with a grinder sounds about right. Assuming it's an 18V battery it can store 72 watt hours so 10 minutes at 432 watts.

10 minutes with a grinder sounds about right. Assuming it's an 18V battery it can store 72 watt hours so 10 minutes at 432 watts.
yes just realised its a 9" grinder so ultra thin not applicable lol
i have the dewalt 18v and it does well but its only 4.5 " so quarter to half the load

Sponsored Links
You will need to charge li-ion batteries about five times from low to full before they attain their maximum capacity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back