Ryobi battery-powered lawnmower issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Ryobi battery powered lawnmower. I recently had to repair the flex from the unit to the switch on the handle - shortly after this the machine stopped working altogether.

I have now replaced the flex (thinking that was the issue) but it still doesn't work.

As shown in the photo, all the parts feed into this central circuit board sort of thing covered in some sort of glue. This makes a clicking noise when I press the switch. It doesn't make this noise when the battery is disconnected, and it still makes the noise when I disconnect the motor so I feel fairly certain the noise is coming from this board.

Does anyone have any idea of which bit is the issue here? I have found both the motor and the circuit board as spare parts and both should be fairly easy to fit. But before I spend the money on one or the other I'd like to be sure which bit is actually broken!

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220819_155633.jpg
    20220819_155633.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220819_155644.jpg
    20220819_155644.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
The part ( black box) is a relay which is what will be giving you the clicking noise. When it clicks it should connect the supply from the battery to the motor. You need to use a multi meter to check for a dc voltage between the blue & orange wires at the white plug going to the motor. Does the motor turn ok by hand? It is possible the motor needs new brushes which means it would need stripping down, but there also looks to be a lot of rust on it so there may haver been water ingress that has damaged it.

Thank you for your response! There's no DC voltage showing between the blue and orange wires. The motor turns fine by hand. I'm guessing this means it's probably the glued up circuit board that needs replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back