S*d's law

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last Friday night I made a ludicrously low-speed departure from a motorway into an embankment. I posted on here about some kind soul stopping to check I was OK.

Now, I put the slidy-spinny-crashiness down to bad weather, bad luck and lack of the ability to get the car facing the right way again.

But, last night, driving up there for the first time since Friday, I spotted lots of other sets of skidmarks originating at the same spot. Tonight, there's a truck there doing some sort of clean-up operation.

I chalked the whole thing up to experience and I won't lose any sleep over it. I doubt I'd ever have got any comeback on it had I reported it (along with the other 20+ cars that appear to have spun off) but...

D'OH!!!
:mad:

Sponsored Links
Is it a fairly new surface?

Some of the oily stuff they're finishing roads with these days can be lethal in "particular" conditions untill it's been down ~12 months. But it's very cost effective (cheap cr4p)

But hey, so long as they keep putting up speed cameras, cos that solves everything, right?

I think it was done about a year ago, so that probably rules that out.

They had gritted the roads the day before... Anyone heard of road salt being contaminated with oil? :LOL:

maybe if you reported it, then the others that went the same way as you might not have done, because maybe the cause of your mishap could have pinpointed a problem!!!! just a thought :idea:

Sponsored Links
Many years ago, spun my car at the bottom of a hill into a parked mini..

Police got called out by a bystander They were going through the 'you must have been going too fast' routine, and inspecting the damage when another car did the same thing and whacked that mini in exactly the same spot..

(never seen a cop move so fast... :LOL: )

Turns out a council lorry had dropped a load of oil the day before, and they were 'getting around' to cleaning it up!

The insurance claim against the council was much easier having two cops as 'witnesses' to their error... ;)

maybe if you reported it, then the others that went the same way as you might not have done, because maybe the cause of your mishap could have pinpointed a problem!!!! just a thought :idea:

Good idea. Following your post, I've rung the Highways Agency and they've taken all the details and will check and ring me back. Sounded like they were taking it seriously.

Secretary asked about my cars rearranged face this morning, when I mentioned what had happened she said "Funnily enough, I saw a pick-up truck sticking out there at the weekend!"

If anyone is taking the Correys Mill junction of the northbound A1(M), be careful! :eek:

Back