S in ZS

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i know the Z stands for impedence but what does the S stand for?

is it system? does anyone know :?:

Sponsored Links
i take it to mean the total e.f. impedance of the circuit in question.

Zs = Ze ( r1 + r2 ) + Zdb1
total efl ext efl dist board 1 efl e.c.t

Read the 17th edition regs book by E.C.A. its a good book.

Isn't it just Zs = Zdb + (R1+R2)? Will Zdb not already take into account Ze i.e. Zdb = Ze + (R1+R2)?

I'm not sure what the "s" means, a lot of the symbols used do not appear to mean much i.e. Ib is design current.

Zs is defined simply as "earth fault loop impedance".

Whereas Ze is defined as that part of EFLI which is external to the installation.

Sponsored Links
I vagueley remember it from college as being s for supply but that was a long time ago ;)

It's simply Zs = Ze+(R1+R2)

It generally never works out though as parallel earth paths may have an effect on measured Zs values making them lower than a calculated Zs value.

Zdb is a Zs value at the incoming connections of a submain. Back at the distribution board which feeds the submain this would be a Zs value of that circuit.
It makes more sense to call it Zdb though.

So Zs = Zdb+(R1+R2) in this case.

It generally never works out though as parallel earth paths may have an effect on measured Zs values making them lower than a calculated Zs value.

Also when measuring Zs it is carried out under AC so the inductance & capacitance of the cct will effect the result.

I know this is not the official answer but I usually tell folk to think of the 's'' as 'socket outlet or other outlet.

Isn't it just Zs = Zdb + (R1+R2)? Will Zdb not already take into account Ze i.e. Zdb = Ze + (R1+R2)?

I'm not sure what the "s" means, a lot of the symbols used do not appear to mean much i.e. Ib is design current.

Sorry i was over complicating my answer , i was using an example of an installation with more than one dis-board.

im with s= sum of impedances or s= system
i would suggest just plain z but this is already defined !!!

i bet the OP has long moved on!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back