S plan heating system pump location

The the first two versions of C Plan C-Plan_old2.jpg C-Plan_old.jpg allow boiler to cool and very common with oil boilers, the last version can cause the boiler to over heat. C-Plan.jpg Since any heat lost from the cistern and pipe work is lost into the house, it does not really matter if always running with central heating.

However in the summer unless the second version is used, DHW is timed only, and the original programmer I had Danfoss3060programmer.jpg minimum time was two hours per day. This was well over what was needed, so used this one, Hot water boost.jpg which allowed 30 minutes 4 times a week, well actually 20 minutes as after 20 minutes boiler cuts out, and does not reset until after 30 minutes has lapsed.

As to cost, it was cheaper to use oil to electric, but with oil prices raising this may not be the case in the future. Likely one of these upload_2022-3-2_15-54-44.png is the best option in summer, 6 litres is ample at the sink, however it is the room they take up in the kitchen cupboard, and only serves one point, but does give near enough instant hot water no need to run off cold.

As to CH only my system does have on of these, upload_2022-3-2_15-59-40.png turning the red wheel stops the DHW heating, but it is a very old system.

Sponsored Links
The the first two versions of C Plan

262955-b09e6112772b8319aa64e81076a002a6.jpg
Is this C-plan? I thought that was the "traditional system", before Honeywell got into it.
he last version can cause the boiler to over heat
Not sure how, but I'll take your word for it.
Since any heat lost from the cistern and pipe work is lost into the house
Yes, but on the traditional system if HW left on on the programmer it uses a lot of gas to no benefit, as the boiler cycles on the control-stat, the heat going up the flue. So you'd want HW called for short intervals, or better, improve the system!

Out of curiosity, what system do you have, I don't think you said?

I have gone back on @Snapford posts, and I see nothing that says he is using gas. He may well be using gas, but until the condensating boiler came out, even with gas boilers simply switched on/off and with oil they still do. Modern gas boilers can modulate, (turn down) and so gain the latent heat, and when the boiler can do this then the control is turned upside down to the old systems.

In the main when gaining latent heat the boiler is either controlled direct to ebus or by return water temperature, this is not the case with simple on/off boilers.

People tend to jump to the conclusion combi means gas modulating boiler, but there are oil combi boilers, OK bit of a cheat really, as it is a tank of hot water stored inside the boiler rather than as a separate cistern, oil does not really lend its self to modulating the output.

I was not very keen on the idea of moving to oil, however I have been pleasantly surprised, it is if anything cheaper than gas to run. However since a gas boiler is so much cheaper than an oil one, I would not use oil if there was mains gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back