Sabre Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My mother has just had a new combi boiler fitted. The plumber promised to fit a 'top of the range' model and mentioned a Worcester. However, when I called round last night he's fitted a huge Sabre.

Not sure what to do about it - do any of you have any experience of Sabre boilers ?

Sponsored Links
This seems to be a typical case of no written quotation and probably a "plumber" who only has a mobile phone and a first name.

It all depends on the model but be aware that a Worcester is probably £200-£300 MORE expensive.

The first thing to do is to stop the cheque and then discuss the situation and how to resolve it.

What did he charge and what was the previous boiler model?

Tony

Thanks Tony.

You are spot on, his card only has a mobile number and his initials.

He wanted to charge around £2,000 but for cash he accepted £1,800. It took him and his mate a day and he also removed the old boiler and relocated the new one, did a bit of brickwork and got rid of the old immersion tank, etc.

It seems like a neat job but I'm annoyed that he appears to have taken advantage of an OAP. Plus, I had checked on Worcester boilers and they seemed to be OK, but can find out very little about Sabres. So alarm bells are ringing.

Was he knocking on doors saying "we are fitting a boiler locally and can do a nice deal for you for cash"!

Well she payed cash, has no receipt, does not know who he is or even if he is CORGI registered and probably paid well over the odds but until we know what model it is I cannot comment on that.

This illustrates the importance of knowing who you are dealing with and checking his CORGI credentials!

What is the number and initials on the card?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hardly top of the range..made by Vokera..relatively cheap boiler..If he has fitted the sabre 25HE he has also installed a `Band B`rated appliance..Most decent condensers are rated at `Band A...think your mother has been duped..

To be fair my mother contacted him on the recommendation of a neighbour. Her old boiler was playing up (sorry don't know make and model but it was well over 20 years old).

He did say he was Corgi registered and a guy called during the day to 'commission' the boiler.

The new boiler is a Sabre HE. Are we looking at troubled times ahead ?

If it`s been installed & flushed properly & inhibitor added (this can be checked) I can`t see a problem.The chaps on here who do breakdowns will give you a better idea on their reliability & more common faults. He should have filled out the `Benchmark` log usually located at the back of Manufacturer`s instructions stating that he has flushed the system & what chemicals he used. Check this. Your Guarantee will be invalid if it hasn`t been flushed/commissioned/installed correctly.

There's a lot of Sabres about, as they're being sold in package deals with sets of radiators, quite cheaply.
The installer should have left the "Benchmark" certificate which would have his corgi number you could check. He should have "Notified" the installation to corgi who will send you a letter confirming he's pukka.
If you're afraid they cut corners on the installation you could call corgi to look at it if you have some technical grounds. You could get another corgi to look at it (like a Landlord's check) , unless you can see something yourself which doesn't tie up with the installation instructions which he should have left you. Look at the gas pipe, see what diameter it is - is it 15mm for very far? Check the condensate runs where it should, and the flue is right.

Another problem can be insufficient cleaning of the existing system. If it was an old system, the dirt in it can clog up the new boiler fairly quickly. First call should be to the installer, to ask what he did.

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments. He did fill in the back of the book. I have his Corgi number, which checks out, and he filled in all the relevant info including gas ratings, burner pressure, water flow rate, etc. He also fitted a scale reducer and he cleaned and flushed the system with Sentinal (?).

Is this OK ?

I'm not at the house so cannot check the pipework - I can only say it all looked neat and tidy (well I am a girl).

Then everything would seem to be in order. To be fair to the installer the only thing he would seem to be guilty of is misleading your Mother on the make, reputation & quality of the boiler that she expected. His price considering it was a `conversion` rather than a boiler swap seems rather reasonable to me..I would have charged more..

Gorby said:
He did say he was Corgi registered and a guy called during the day to 'commission' the boiler.

That means to me that he is NOT CORGI registered and got a registered friend to "sign it off" for him which is illegal.

Why dont you tell me his CORGI number and telephone number and I will check for you, you can email me from my profile if you like.

I expect that the previous boiler was a combi as well if he did the swap during one day. Most people would have charged about £1400.

Tonu

Agile said:
I expect that the previous boiler was a combi as well if he did the swap during one day. Most people would have charged about £1400.

Gorby wrote:
He wanted to charge around £2,000 but for cash he accepted £1,800. It took him and his mate a day and he also removed the old boiler and relocated the new one, did a bit of brickwork and got rid of the old immersion tank, etc.

Probably an open vented system/regular boiler..if so he has converted it to a room sealed system at a reasonable if not cheap price.

Sorry, I missed the "immersion tank" as I normally think of removing a "hot water cylinder and cold water cistern".

We would have charged about the same but would have given the Worcester option as an extra for another £250. We would have taken 3.5 days though.

I do wonder if he has really removed the cold water cistern. If not there may be mains water on the hot and cistern fed water on the bathroom cold! That can cause problems with a shower or mixer tap!

Now for the problem, that timescale left no time for the power flushing which should have been done and takes about 3-5 hours. The dirt in the system may block the boiler and you dont know who he is or have a receipt.

I doubt the Benchmark has been completed as it should have the name and address of the installer!

Tony

Agile"Sorry, I missed the "immersion tank" as I normally think of removing a "hot water cylinder and cold water cistern".

So would I, but I was allowing for the fact that the OP may not be a plumber.. ;)

i would`t worry about that Vokera Sabre, i`ve fitted about 20 of these things in the last 12 months (29 H.E. ) & provided its been done correctly & flushed out & inhibitor installed, there wont be a prob. i've had no comebacks on any of mine so far anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back