safe isolation test rig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anyone got anything set up to demonstrate safe isolation that they dont mind sharing, or are willing to assist me by coming up with something for me. i can demo it on a live control rig using a gas valve (as the electrical connections are easily accessed) but i'm not comfortable letting someone else do it on a 24ov rig, as i am trying to confirm they have grasped the theory and can do the practical side, on a live rig proof they have not grasped the theory has dire consequences :eek:
so what i thought was something connected to a battery rather than 240v, i have access to any electrical controls, switches, light fittings plus gas controls etc what i need is advice on how to set something up on a test board, so that there is a power supply, a fused spur (as that is what most gas engineers would use to isolate) and something on the end to test to confirm power is on then off then on again, i intend to use a fluke test lamp and have a socket shutter opener (if that is the right name) which i use at the moment to confirm my test lamp is working.
i am comfortable doing the test live and and explain what i mean but you can see why i am uncomfortable letting a student do it in case they get it wrong.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Issue pairs of these, maybe: :LOL:

Or protect the test rig with a 10mA RCD. Then you have a real environment to work with.

59 views before someone came up with a comment like that, should have expected it i suppose :LOL:
taylortwocities on your second suggestion, i would prefer to use 240v as it is then a real test so if i plug the test rig into a socket using an RCD plug would i be able to short probes together on L & N to trip RCD to show what would happen without anyone being at any risk?

would i be able to short probes together on L & N to trip RCD to show what would happen without anyone being at any risk?

No. A L-N fault will not trip an RCD. You will get a loud bang, a flash and whatever fuse or circuit breaker is protecting the circuit will operate. It is NOT a safe thing to do, there is a significant risk of injury.

One possibilty is to use a transformer with a 110V centre tap output (such as the yellow box types as used on building sites), so the voltage from either output to earth is 55V.
A 10mA RCD is fitted to the output of the transformer, and you also put a 40W, 110V incandescent lamp in each of the output wires before they connect to the test rig (these will act as current limiters in the event of a fault).

Sponsored Links
Maybe have some test points behind some plastic (perspex) covers with holes drilled in so they don't need to pull about with the wires?
As you are training people to do it for real then personally I'd use mains voltage - maybe as others have said with an RCD on it.
You can also use a proving unit to test your voltage indicators as opposed to sticking them in a socket - some testers trip out RCDs when placed between L&E too which is something you should teach to look out for.

thanks for the ideas and advice will see what i come up with, i will post a pic for advice before i let the students loose on it, the paperwork required to be completed when you kill someone at work is a right pain in the arris :oops:

i have knocked up a diagram as a word doc, but cannot upload this type of document, can someone advise how i can either upload it or what i need to change it to
ta

Save it as a JPEG and post it as an image, perhaps?

Use Snipping Tool in accessories or
You do it by publishing the DOC as a PDF and then export the file from Acrobat as a JPEG.

i have knocked up a diagram as a word doc, but cannot upload this type of document, can someone advise how i can either upload it or what i need to change it to
ta
Stick it on a filesharing site, e.g. rapidshare, megaupload, badongo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back