Safe, legal flue position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice about the legal and correct positioning of a straight through wall flue. I live in a maisonette (I'm upstairs) and my neighbour downstairs has had a new boiler fitted, but has also repositioned it nearer my kitchen window. The nearest of the two opening windows (one vent window and the other full opener) are approx. 2/2.5 metres above the new flue she has had fitted, and a good 1.5 metre-ish away from the left hand side of the window (from looking out of the window)...... difficult to explain, so I've attached some pictures below to help -

278445212.jpg

278445210.jpg

Please let me know if what shes had done is safe, legal etc.. all I know is there is a limit to where you can position flues... but not be able to find an answer to my own situation... not least cos shes cut through the rain water down pipe too...... grrrrrr

Cheers,

KVFilms :)

Sponsored Links
Flue positions's fine. A bit too long unless it's avoiding something.
The rainwater pipe is another issue!!

What about fumes etc from the flue, as I often have the windows open.

Thanks for your reply... much appreciated! :)

Basically that's tough. Boiler mfrs will only require a foot or so from an opening window.
You can claim "nuisance" under environmental heath regs, but at that distance , nobody could ever fit a boiler!

Sponsored Links
OK, so it's tough. not knowing what exactly comes out of the flue, are the fumes not dangerous, like carbon monoxide etc... I'm yet to sleep in the kitchen, but if the windows are open, does the fumes pose any sort of health/ safety risk etc?

Cheers,

Meets all the regs. As long as the boiler has been commissioned properly and assuming it is a combi, then it should be producing around 130ppm CO at worst, nothing that would harm you, especially as it is being diluted in the atmosphere.

The down pipe should have been routed round the flue at least and re-connected.

Cutting the rain water downpipe like that is so cowboyish that together with not cutting the flue to length makes me think he was not CORGI registered.

Having the rainwater pipe discharge all over the flue would make it At Risk. You could report it to CORGI and see what they do.

You have a common law complaint because they have damaged the shared rain water pipe. Thats your complaint but the flue siting is fine.

Your own flue has not been cut off either and is probably too close to your eaves!

Tony

Had to be one of our Eastern European cousins that left this
You couldnt make it up.

Agile said:
Cutting the flue is so cowboyish that together with not cutting it to length makes me think he was not CORGI registered.

Having the rainwater pipe discharge all over the flue would make it At Risk. You could report it to CORGI and see what they do.

You have a common law complaint because they have damaged the shared rain water pipe. Thats your complaint but the siting is fine.

Your flue has not been cut off either and is probably too close to your eaves!

Tony

the pigeons need something to pearch on!!.

I may be wrong but it looks like this has been photoshopped.

Look at the brickwork around the flue, it looks like an old BF terminal has been there before which of course it couldn't have been due to the rainwater pipe.

Anyone else think this is a wind-up?

looks to be a biasi flue...

to be honest do you not like the folk down stairs or something?

anyway the gutter down pipe would be a issue, if the boiler ever gets flooded it would not be covered, i think that is why it is so long because they are not going to put a redirect on the downpipe and are going to leave it like that.

No its all genuine!

The East Europeans dont have core drills and hammer out two bricks and replace them around the flue!

The old BF flue hole was to the right and lower down!

Tony

Hi all, thanks for all your replies! this is absolutely genuine, the brickwork you see in the picture is as it was when taken (the other day). I've grown up in this property over the last 14 years or so and its been the same in all that time.... so I can only assume that many years ago the rain downpipe may have been in a slightly different position, but haven't seen any markings on the brickwork to suggest so... so don't know

My flue was fitted about 4 years ago by a CORGI fitter, you guys know more than I do about the correct installation, but having looked again at the picture (and the real thing) as far as my flue is concerned, the picture could be a bit misleading.

unfortunately, as neighbours go, we don't get on, simply cos she does stupid things like cutting away the rain downpipe.. and not arranging for it to be re-fitted....

Tell me, we all agree that the flue is positioned correctly, minus issues with the length (assuming that is not a big deal, nor dangerous) what is the law with rain water drainage? aside from it being dangerous, with regards to her boiler etc... home owners are duty bound to provide means of rain water drainage.. aren't they... that doesn't mean with a big gap in the middle.... really, what I'm saying, is as it currently stands, is it illegal.

I have to say, in this case, certainly for me anyway, I don't think Eastern Europeans were involved.... cowboys, hummmm enough said :)

Cheers :)

surely the installer wil re-route the fall pipe when he fills in the old flue hole.

Your own flue looks like it was fitted by a cowboy. Do you live in dodge city?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back