Safe sound input in bathroom

Yes bernard but that senario only happens when using multiple equiptment The op is using only one amp
The on stage scenario almost always involves at least one item correctly set up with its 0 volt ground free of any mains voltage and one (or more) defective items where the 0 volts is at a spine tingling or lethal voltage.

It can also include one item of defective equipment and the earthed metal work of the stage or at outdoor events when the performer goes from the stage onto the grass to meet the audience with a microphone on a lead that is, from its defective amplifier, at mains voltage.

One defective amplifier in the loft (or one built to a low price and even lower safety tandard ) together with one well earthed bath and that 3.5 mm plug is possibly going to give a bit of a tingle.

Sponsored Links
Yes bernard but that senario only happens when using multiple equiptment The op is using only one amp
The on stage scenario almost always involves at least one item correctly set up with its 0 volt ground free of any mains voltage and one (or more) defective items where the 0 volts is at a spine tingling or lethal voltage.

It can also include one item of defective equipment and the earthed metal work of the stage or at outdoor events when the performer goes from the stage onto the grass to meet the audience with a microphone on a lead that is, from its defective amplifier, at mains voltage.

That is in the realm of vintage amps they're made much safer nowadays

This thread has become absolutely ridiculous.

The OP is not talking about a 500W Marshall Amp in his loft, he just means he's got a £100 Alba combo amp up there. Then he wants to extend the 3.5mm down to wherever his ipod happens to be.

You folks (with the exception of John) have him installing isolation transformers, calling Part-P certifiers and all sorts.
I'm actually surprised that nobody has suggested that he needs a 3 phase supply :confused:

Please stop treating this as an exam exercise and go back to the whole point of the query, and this forum. The guy wants realistic advice; let's give him that, rather than a lecture.

Sponsored Links
This thread has become absolutely ridiculous. ... You folks (with the exception of John) have him installing isolation transformers, calling Part-P certifiers and all sorts. ...
Thanks, but I think westie deserves some recognition for attempting to retain some degree of sanity as well!

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks for that John

Though if folk are still worried I would go for a plastic socket by the window so no exposed metal and ensure that the plug cannot be removed from the docking station, that way there is no exposed metal that by the smallest chance could possibly become live at mains voltage that would have the smallest possible chance of being touched! But that's if I was being pedantic :evil:

Actually the whole idea is quite good, next time I decorate the bathroom I might do something similar as I've got a nice 2x25W amp sitting spare. Just got to do the same on the patio for next summer!

Actually the whole idea is quite good, next time I decorate the bathroom I might do something similar as I've got a nice 2x25W amp sitting spare. Just got to do the same on the patio for next summer!
If you do it, I suggest you either don't admit it in this forum, or else that you explore the wireless options :)

Kind Regards, John.

JohnW2";p="2142826 said:
I think westie deserves some recognition for attempting to retain some degree of sanity as well!.
As the person who triggered the "insanity" I would just like to say that my concerns are valid and the risk analysis should be conducted. The result is most likely say the risk is minimal.

Points to consider include

[1] does the amplifier have an earth or is it rated as double insulated.

[2] is the amplifier designed to work in the high ambient temperatures that can exist in lofts in summer time

[3] if it fails on over heating does it then fail into an ensured safe mode in regards to its input circuitry and 0 volt external connections

As the person who triggered the "insanity" I would just like to say that my concerns are valid and the risk analysis should be conducted. The result is most likely say the risk is minimal.
Exactly. No-one is suggesting that the risk analysis should not be done (such analyses are implicit in virtually everything we do in our lives) but, rather, a few of us are suggesting that such an analysis results in the conclusion that the risk is minimal.

Kind Regards, John.

This thread has become absolutely ridiculous. ... You folks (with the exception of John) have him installing isolation transformers, calling Part-P certifiers and all sorts. ...
Thanks, but I think westie deserves some recognition for attempting to retain some degree of sanity as well!

Kind Regards, John.

Yes indeed :oops: not that I'm the sole arbiter of sanity, but I'd definitely bring westie101 into the common sense camp!

Bernard; you were absolutely right to ask, that's why these forums exist and hopefully you can weed some of the gems from the chaff (to mix a few metaphors)

Why not just buy a ceiling mounted FM radio kit, and get a plug in FM transmitter for your iPod?

It will save all this faffing around, and you get a nice radio in your bathroom that you'll actually use.

The speakers even look like downlighters, and they cost less than you think.

kb-plus-2-ceiling-radio-for-bathroom-and-kitchen-kb-sound-3150-p[ekm]600x450[ekm].jpg

Not sure if this will fan the flames or put them out! Here's the amp I've been given - just a basic studio power amp. 100w, has overheat protection but I have no idea as to the internal circuitry.

http://www.touched-by-sound.com/en/Recording-34706-MAM_Music_and_More_PA_100.html

Looks pretty solid to me, and given its intended use in a pro setup I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of system to stop large currents running back down the inputs.

from the data sheet
Die PA 100 ist für den Einbau in ein 19"-Rack konzipiert. Achten Sie bitte auf eine ausreichende Belüftung der
Endstufe.
= " The PA 100 was conceived to be built into 19" rack systems. Please take care to ensure sufficient ventilation of the output stage."

Feuchtigkeit, Staub und starke Hitze, wie z.B. in Autos
mögen die wenigsten elektronischen Geräte
= "Few electronic items enjoy damp. dust and excessive heat. as for example in cars. "

If the power output is fan cooled then dust from the loft will clog up the cooling system. Dust from fibre glass insulation is a killer of loft mounted fan cooled electronic equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back