Bathroom boiler electrics and electric mirror

Can I take that as a vote for rcd spur in boiler cupboard?

If you want to install substandard, non-compliant equipment, feel free, you have been advised they are not to be installed without an rcd/rcbo already on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
If you want to install substandard, non-compliant equipment, feel free, you have been advised they are not to be installed without an rcd/rcbo already on the circuit
So your vote would be spur from mcbo or new mcbo in cu?

If you want to install substandard, non-compliant equipment, feel free, you have been advised they are not to be installed without an rcd/rcbo already on the circuit.

But there would be no point in ever installing them in that case. Two RCDs in line is pointless as we all know.

You will recall that RCDs have a failure rate, which increases if they are not regularly tested.

The probability of two RCD on the same circuit both failing, is much lower than the probability of a single failure.

So not pointless, as we all know.

Sponsored Links
With 2 in line you have 2 to reset after a fault. Pretty tedious.

What is this failure rate you mention?

have you never heard of a failure rate?

Truly?

of course you have.

It isn't nonsense, they have been omitted because they no longer meet the standards, and the only way they will go back in bs7671 is by bs7288 been reworded, and the srcd's design been modified, so no, it isn't a mistake, it's because they are non-compliant for additional protection and safe isolation unless backed up by an rcd/rcbo. So if you want to install substandard equipment contrary to bs7671 crack on
I would appreciate a citation.

That exchange indicates that there is a dearth of authoritative statements on the issue. Everything I have heard so far is hearsay and does not reduce my expectation that these products will perform as required.

As an electrician I have no doubt that one has to play it safe and follow the existing regulations. If I were a private house owner in the exact situation as the OP, I have said what I personally would do.

The decision that they are no longer suitable was made by the persons responsible for producing the product standard to which these devices are manufactured.

This would be PEL/23/1.

so bs7288 clearly says :-

upload_2020-10-23_10-1-8.png

so until pel23/1 reword bs7288, or there is a product modification then they are now effectively obsolete and will remain a non compliance and omitted from bs7671.

Another thread on the topic :- https://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/44952-commercial-rcd-protection-for-sockets/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back