Safe way of testing for hydrogen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator which regularly needs bleeding and I’d like to check whether the gas coming out is hydrogen.

Is there a safe way of doing this (i.e. that doesn’t involve setting fire to it)?

Sponsored Links
The way we used to test when I studied chemistry is thus:
Using a test tube, or similar slim tube, closed at one end, with a diameter of approx 1cm, position it vertically with the opening as close to the gas release as possible.

If it's hydrogen, it's lighter than air, so the idea is to catch it in the bottom of the tube.

Once you have done this, insert a lot, long match into the tube.

If it's hydrogen, there will be a slight pop, and flash. If it isn't hydrogen, the match will just continue to burn as usual, or go out.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Be aware that the gas coming out of a radiator may be a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and could be in the correct ratio to be explosive. This mixture can flash back through very small holes such as a bleed nipple and ignite ( explosively ) the gas mixure inside a radiator.

Very unlikely but not worth the risk of testing with a flame next to the bleed nipple.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers - I’m aware of the basic physics of lighting the hydrogen, but I was hoping for a safer alternative. I watched a YouTube video of someone attempting to safely ‘pop’ the hydrogen in an upturned kettle, but accidentally setting fire to their radiator!

If it's from decomposition of living matter it'll more likely be hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) or methane

I did this myself with a small shot glass, certainly made me jump, a bit more than a pop! Took a flush with cleaner and new inhibitor to stop the hydrogen. It was a brand new system which was meant to have been flushed clean already!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back