Safe Zones : Origins, including comments on a rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the safe zones outlined in BS7671 have been with us a while, and were best practice long before that but does anythone know when they actually made it into the big book?

I ask because I'm re-wiring a 60's 3 bed detached at the minute and is diagonals and dog legs galore and it just made me think. CPC sleeving - Yeah right!

Nice rubber cabling thats now in an incredably poor state, multiple breaks in the 2 rings (yes, two!) and no cpc on the lights, PVC DI singles wired in the trusty 'conduit method', and wooden patresses (were these commercially available at one time, they look very well made, or just something for the lad to do on dog days?) Class 1 metal switches and fittings virtually throughout. New-ish starbreaker board fitted within the last 8 years, no RCD for the lights and god alone knows how the RCD held given the IR of the rubber cables!

Sponsored Links
I IR tested some socket cabling recently - all came out at 500Meg. When I delved deeper into the circuit, it was partly wired in VIR which crumbled on touching - so it seems that undisturbed VIR tests OK unless you start handling it!

SB

Sponsored Links
I IR tested some socket cabling recently - all came out at 500Meg. When I delved deeper into the circuit, it was partly wired in VIR which crumbled on touching - so it seems that undisturbed VIR tests OK unless you start handling it!
Recently tested a lighting circuit with sections of VIR that also came out with high IR (>1000MΩ) and the builder had already had his filthy hands all over it. This was the first time I had come across VIR and was quite suprised.

No CPC with the VIR obviously but despite no ceilings customer wouldn't have VIR replaced. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back