Safe Zones

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering why a space say up to 150mm above the skirting board is not classed as a safe zone for wiring. It would make lot of wiring runs considerably shorter. I can understand the potential danger of nails from the skirting board if it was below the level of a skirting board and that in a first fit situation running it under the floor is possibly easier but in an established home with a concrete floor thats not so easy to do.

Sponsored Links
Not sure as i dont work for NIC , but it may be because you can get diffent size skirting board . Iv worked in houses with boards ranging form 2" to about 8 " .
What ya think ?

Not sure as i dont work for NIC ...

What have they got to do with it ?

Or the IEE or the BSI or anyother **** electrical board or group that you can think of , for **** sake get a life !!!!!

It was a tad random to say that :LOL:

There is a zone 150mm from the top of the wall, and this zone has always been contenous - people putting up coving always whack a few support nails in, xmas decors etc. There have been numerous reports of people recieving shocks this way (ducks as he mentions this was in an NIC mag at some point).

TBH, most sparks will try to stay well clear of any zone that does not incorporate an accessory, it is considered poor practice to use those 'last resort' zones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, it was the 150mm from ceiling and the use of coving that made me ask, it seemed strange to allow one and not the other. As i said it was also a convenience thing of if it was allowed then you/i wouldnt need to go up roughly 2.5 metres, across whatever distance and then down 2.5 metres not to mention avoiding lifting floor boards to get at the ceiling void, all to run a new cable.

As i said it was also a convenience thing of if it was allowed then you/i wouldnt need to go up roughly 2.5 metres, across whatever distance and then down 2.5 metres not to mention avoiding lifting floor boards to get at the ceiling void, all to run a new cable.
You could go horizontally between fittings on the same wall if you wanted.

Would save all the up/down work...;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back