Safely Terminating Live Cables - Help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I moved into a new place and had a few wires going all over the place that a electrician came out and sorted when we had the Fuses upgraded to RCDs.

However I was in a cupboard tonight that has a built in lamp connected to a cable that I think is spurred off the light circuit and connected to said built in lamp through a chocolate block. Whistle in there I noticed that the neutral was loose in the block at the outgoing side (think I might have brushed it when pulling something out of the cupboard). Anyway to be on the safe side I turned off the circuit (much easier with the RCDs now!) and disconnected both wires on the outgoing side. Therefore my question is this,

Is the live cable safe enough for now in the chocolate block which is fixed for the cupboard until the weekend when I can trace it back and fully disconnect it from the light circuit or should I be putting it in a junction box as well?

Thanks in advance,

G

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response. Just the two of us live here and the cupboards above head high so I'll sort it at the weekend. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't he have had to change the consumer unit to accomodate RCBOs?

In that case he would have said "we had the Consumer Unit changed"

I'll bet they have just popped in some of these
WYB6.JPG

If you intend to disconnect the lamp and cable, then providing the circuit cannot be made accidentally live, then you should be okay to leave it until the weekend. If not it would be best to re-terminate the connections and place in a suitable enclosure (which it should have been placed in, in the first place). You will require the appropriate test equipment to prove the circuit is dead prior to doing any work on this task. This will assure you can safely work on it. Turning the MCB off is not enough to do that!

Sorry I should have been clearer it was the Consumer Unit that was changed.

Need to brush up on my lingo! :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back