Capping off external wiring - is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had an NICEIC-certified sparky disconnect an external security lamp for me. He was unable to remove the backing plate and has left the fixture like this.

20220125_155209.jpg

Is this safe? The wires go into a connecting block but they're still live.

Sponsored Links
no of course not

there is no lid on the box, and it does not look like an outside one to me.

there appear to be some unterminated wires

as a minimum it needs a weatherproof enclosure with a lid.

but why don't you go inside the house, where the cable comes from, and isolate and terminate it there?

why don't you go inside the house, where the cable comes from, and isolate and terminate it there?
Why didn’t the spark? Also, for an eicr, wouldn’t think the way it’s left is acceptable.

Sponsored Links
I hope he didn't charge you for that.

And if he did, I hope you didn't pay him.

As a bare minimum, he should have found a way to get back plate off, and then fit an outdoor junction box with the wires safely terminated in connector blocks.

Obviously there will be many other options.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Surely he could have just drilled the screws holding it in place and removed the box and replaced it. Ten to twenty minutes work or is it very high up, in which case John D's suggestion ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back