Tin plated copper wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can answer a question ive got about some wiring on a property.

Ive had a new roof fitted over a kitchen raising it by 10" and need to disconnect all the cables (sockets and lights) from the fuse board, thread them over the new joists and re-connect into the fuse board.

Sparky came down and said they are the old aluminum wires and not copper so he cant reconnect them due to Part P regs. Another sparky has looked at them and said they are 'tin plated copper' wires and he sees no issue with disconnecting and reconnecting and certifying.

Is this correct or would the house need a re-wire?

Also the lights have no earth wire.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like tinned copper which dates from before around 1970. In fact no earth in lighting circuit would be before 1966.

If the wiring is to become inaccessible it would make good sense to rewire now. The lighting should have earth present throughout.

I presume the insulation is pvc (not rubber).

The wiring is getting old. A periodic inspection would high-light the problems with the installation and what should be done. You may need a larger earth to the gas/water etc.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the insulation is pvc and not rubber.

So would you say that an electrician could disconnect the wires and reconnect and be able to issue a Part P certificate on it or does the 17th edition say that this wiring, if disconnected, has to be replaced with new before being reconnected?? because ive got 1 saying yes and the other sayng no lol!!

Deending on the condition of the rest of the installation, there is no reason why the circuit could not be worked on, and a certificate issued.

It sounds like the first 'electrician' has no idea what he is talking about.

Sponsored Links
Sparky came down and said they are the old aluminum wires and not copper so he cant reconnect them due to Part P regs. Another sparky has looked at them and said they are 'tin plated copper' wires
Aluminium wires in domestic properties are rare, they were only available for a very short period, and therefore only used on a tiny number of properties, most of which have probably been replaced by now.
Most likely will be tinned copper. To confirm, just scrape the wire with a knife blade to reveal the copper underneath (obviously with the power off).

I've never come across aluminium wiring in a domestic property even once in all my years in the trade.

Seen it a few times in big SWAs on commercial, but even that is pretty rare.

I've done a domestic job where I found aluminium T&E.:eek:. It took a good few cuts at the ends and scraping of the conductors before I believed it myself! :rolleyes: normally it's all tinned copper (which is ok so long as it tests out ok)

So I replaced all the Aluminium......(that I found)

I've never come across aluminium wiring in a domestic property even once in all my years in the trade.

Seen it a few times in big SWAs on commercial, but even that is pretty rare.

I did maintenance on a whole block of flats that was wired in alu T&E. Funny stuff. Very bendy & light, even though it is much fatter.

Strange thing was, from memory the block was built in the late 60's/ early 70's something like that. I have not worked with it since.

Have done two rewires on adjacent bungalows. Built around 40 years ago.

All original wiring was in PVC sheathed aluminium. Most of the terminations were loose as the ally had been squashed by the copper terminals.

Got a pic of a JB of the original somewhere.... where is it....
under there, no wait.

ahh yes, here it is..
Officianadoes will especially enjoy the quality of the wiring of this JB.

Luckily that DI conductor at the bottom, and the single leaving at 8 o'clock are earth wires, not live.

Thanks for all the comments guys, could i get a collective decision from you lot please??

Are we ok under Part P regs to disconnect and reconnect these cables to the fuse board and safely issue a part p certificate or do these tin plated copper cables need to be replaced?

Let the electrician test them and call this one. Personally if they are going to be hidden away for the next 20 years I would be renewing them what ever.

Are you sure that once these cables are removed and re-routed they will actually reach??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back