Safety Issue with Downlighters !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being fashionable at the moment, my wife has purchased a set of 6 mains halogen downlighters to be installed in the bedroom. I have picked up on other threads there is an issue with the amount of heat they can generate. As they will be basically installed in the loft, what can I do to ensure they are not a fire hazard ?

I have also checked out the low voltage, energy saving bulbs but they don't look right in this type of fitting. Can anyone also advise on the type of bulbs I can use ?

Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Do not install directly adjacent to the timber work.

Read the instructions, and stick to their min distances.

Fire hoods only needed if there is a habitable room above, and this is to replace the fire seal (the ceiling) that you are cutting a hole in :)

Be careful Cellotex that can be found in many new builds, self extinguishing, but continues to burn in the presence of heat.

Fibre glass and rock wool are not combustable, but must be removed from around the fittings by an inch or so to allow the lamp to stay cool (includes the transformer aswell if yours are ELV).

Thanks for that - the advice makes me feel better about fitting the downlighters but I live in an older house and the ceilings are constructed from lath and plaster so I would be cutting the holes in the wooden laths. Does this make it a bit dodgy ? Cheers.

Does make you wonder, the rims of the lights do get hot, but not ignitably hot i wouldnt think. many people do it.

PS - use a holesaw :)

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this topic is still live but here's a tale worth remembering. I am a retired firefighter and a couple of years ago attended a house fire where the roof and part of the first floor waas lost. The seat of the fire was traced back to charring of a roof joist immediately above a downlighter. The timber had charred to a depth of about 30mm. The downlighter was found to have been the cause.

Be carefull!!

but well worth the input from a professional voicing a worthwhile opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back