Salamander pumps

I don't get why an unvented is being recomemended.

If more than 1 hot tap is open at a time it is really poor
Because the OP isn't happy with the poor performance from a combi when more than one hot water outlets is used. That is why an unvented is then being recommended.

This thread is all about a badly performing shower and not being happy with the prospect that a combi can really only supply one outlet properly at a time.

Sponsored Links
The OP has been completely confused by flowrates/pressures/getting a pump etc.
I'd suggest the shower is connected to the combi, tap flowrates are resolved and then have a re-think.
Suggesting an unvented system at great expense without getting the basics sorted is just leading to more confusion IMHO.
I'd guess 80% or so of homes have combis and the vast majority don't have an issue with supplying a tap at a time...if sensible flow limiters
are fitted to the outlets even a 30Kw combi may prove sufficient to supply a shower and say tap outlet on the odd occasions they are both in use.
After the woeful performance of a 10Kw electric shower a combi fed shower with an 8 or 10 litre/min outlet flow limiter will appear vastly superior...leaving capacity to run another basin tap etc.

Yup, quite agree that understanding the flow rates and pressures were key, hence suggesting and walking the OP through getting back to basics and to a starting point about what his mains can supply, which is where we are now. Also quite agree that a combi fed shower would be far superior than what is there at the moment but that would need a semblance of co-operation in the household to ensure that the shower's HW supply isn't compromised if someone is using it, which seems important given the OP's replies.

If well fed multiple HW outlets are key to the OP's requirements longer term, as per his line about poor multiple outlets supplied from a combi, then a combi wouldn't really cut it, whereas an unvented could give him what he wants. Ultimately it is only a recommendation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the replies so far.

There are 4 people in th house and can't always make them no use hotwater if someone is in the shower for example.

So need a good option to be able to run 2 outlets at the same time.

I am not sure on the costs involved and how expensive they can be.

Would another option be to fit a bigger boiler? Or would it still not be able to supply multiple outlets.

I have alway had a condencing boiler and have never had these issues. I hate Combis for this very reason. and unfortunately where we are, there is no longer the option to fit a condencing one as someone has kindly removed all the pipe works when they ripped off the old lady who lived here and sold her a combi boiler!

I am confused to what advice I am not listening to?

I have said that I need to have more than 2 hot outlets open at a time ! Option of installing a mixer shower with the current boiler is not an option as at the moment as soon as one outlet is open, the other hot outlets drop quite considerably. I am told ( by a bioler man) that this is the limit of my current boiler as it is only designed as a single hot outlet at a time?!

So I need to know the options to have more than 1 HOT outlet on at a time with no reduced flow!

that this is the limit of my current boiler as it is only designed as a single hot outlet at a time?!

I have a smaller boiler than you and can happily run my thermostatic shower and another tap at the same time.

I have a 28kw boiler, 2.5 bathrooms, a kitchen and utility room.

I inherited the boiler when I moved in 10 years ago and while I would prefer something a bit more powerful I won't be upgrading it unless it breaks down.

Thanks Denso.

Do you definitely have a standard combi boiler? No hot water cylinders or expansion vessels or anything else attached to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back