Salus RT500RF not working driving me to despair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a brand new central heating system put in Nov 2012 with a new Worcester Bosch condensing boiler. The engineer fitted a wireless Salus TR500RF programmable timer. It has been a complete nightmare ever since. It comes on whenever it pleases. I have tried resetting it numerous times but it is so annoying. My gas bill was through the roof last year, as it kept coming on all night. It always comes on and reaches the highest setting 22 degrees. My thermostats on the radiators do not seem to work either. They can be on number two but the rads get red hot. I am in complete despair. I have just fiited a wood burner to reduce my gas bill. Last night I thought it had got really hot in the lounge, only to fing out the rads were red hot - they were not supposed to be on. also the pt unit was in the lounge reading 21 degrees and it was still firing up. I had reset the programmes to

5.45 am 18 degrees
8.00 am 10 degrees
3pm 10 degrees
6pm 10 degrees
10pm 10 degrees

I just want the heating on in the morning to warm the house up. It is coming on a few times a day and at night. I have had to turn all the rads down to 0. The problem is the boiler is firing all the time. it is heating water all the time even when I am not running any taps.
Can anyone help me. I am thinking of having the old wired in type of timer fitted as I never had a problem with a timer before until I got this one. I can't afford the cost it is having on my gas bill. :( :cry:

Sponsored Links
First, when the receiver unit is switched off does the boiler then also stop firing?

Next, does the receiver green light come on only when it should?.....

...Test by pushing the up button so the target temp is much higher than the room temp, then the receiver green light should come on, along with the pump and boiler.
It should go off when the down button is pressed to set the target temp very low and soon after the boiler should stop firing.

Why not call the installer back? There may be a problem with it or how it's installed.

I can't see the point though of going for the most expensive boiler make and then pairing it with the worst possible brand of controls. A bit like bathing in Radox before using cat p*ss for deodorant.

Sponsored Links
My guess is the installer left the jumpers on the back of the thermostat in the default mode. If a house in the near vacinity also has a salus rf stat, they could be interfering with each other ( a common problem and can cause some weird results) try changing the jumper settings to a different frequency. You will have to do this on both the thermostat and the reciever unit. Its described in detail in the manual how to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back