Salus RT520TX Not triggering boiler

Sponsored Links
what boiler make and model do you have ? there may be a workaround as long as it has 230v AC switching, but I need to know what your boiler is

Sorry just looked at your pics again and see your origional thermostst was wired using twin plus earth, cable so it is either a battery powered stat or run a new flex

Sponsored Links
Sorry just looked at your pics again and see your origional thermostst was wired using twin plus earth, cable so it is either a battery powered stat or run a new flex
So it wouldn’t work as I’ve suggested utilising what could be a neutral wire (grey tucked behind)? So essentially 3 core and Earth?

No you would need a permanent live, a switched live and a permanent neutral, so 3 cores, you cant sleeve the earth on twin and earth and use it as a conductor , you could do if they had used 3 core flex, not correct to do it but very common in heating systems, but as the earth was sheathed throught its length then it is safe enough but not with your set up, have a look at NEST E that would work for you and far better than the Salus, has to be the E though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
No you would need a permanent live, a switched live and a permanent neutral, so 3 cores, you cant sleeve the earth on twin and earth and use it as a conductor ,
Yes I know you can’t sleeve the Earth and use as a conductor on twin and Earth, but there’s a grey wire behind, so would have 3 cores plus the Earth. So I was thinking that:

brown = perm live
Grey (if connected) = perm neutral
Black (sleeved brown) switch live
Link brown to common
Terminate earth safely

or do I have it wrong? (Again) :oops:

Yes I know you can’t sleeve the Earth and use as a conductor on twin and Earth, but there’s a grey wire behind, so would have 3 cores plus the Earth. So I was thinking that:

brown = perm live
Grey (if connected) = perm neutral
Black (sleeved brown) switch live
Link brown to common
Terminate earth safely

or do I have it wrong? (Again) :oops:
No as long as the other end is connected to 230v switching and not 24v that will work

• Thanks
No you would need a permanent live, a switched live and a permanent neutral, so 3 cores, you cant sleeve the earth on twin and earth and use it as a conductor , you could do if they had used 3 core flex, not correct to do it but very common in heating systems, but as the earth was sheathed throught its length then it is safe enough but not with your set up, have a look at NEST E that would work for you and far better than the Salus, has to be the E though

Are you saying that with the 2 wires I have currently available, the Nest E will work for me?

Are you saying that with the 2 wires I have currently available, the Nest E will work for me?
yes nest E thermostat is battery powered so just uses the two wires you already have, I have fitted a few and customers really like them, some units on the market offer different things but I personally (wait for all the eco warriors) think that the nest E offers everything you need, some units are far too complicated and some rely on servers located in other countries, the nes E is simple and just does what you want, I am in no way connected to Nest, I actually prefer Hive, but on your setup the nest E is the easiest solution

• Thanks
Thank you so much. I used to have a hive and liked it, but the nest will give more functionality than a straightforward battery operated thermostat, so I’ll give it a go.

The two wires that you currently have simply go into COM and NO on the nest E , doesnt matter which way round, then follow the rest of the setup procedure, simple as that and you will have smart phone and internet and wireless control, I like them, vey simple and reasonably priced

Hi Ian, I’ve fitted the nest e, thanks for the recommendation, it’s great. Another question you might be able answer, I’ve got underfloor heating downstairs, each room is on a separate thermostat, should it only work when the heating has been started by the conventional (now nest e) schedule/timer?

It all depends on how it’s wired up, but I’d say no, it’s would be each room thermostat controlling each room. Is it something you wanted to do?

The problem is that it’s stopped coming on, and I think it’s about since I originally changed the thermostat, even though they shouldn’t be linked, it’s very weird.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back