Salus ST620WBC not suitable for needs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My mother has just had gas central heating installed and the installer has put in a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i junior combi MK IV boiler.

He has also installed a Salus ST620WBC wireless thermostat, yet neither my mother nor me can seem to find out how to program it to suit her needs.

Basically she wants the heating to come on in a morning for a couple of hours and again on an evening for a couple of hours so heating is not on whilst she is at work throughout the day. Reading through the manual, I can find out how to program the on times for the heating but not off times.

I'm guessing that the salus system that he has installed is probably one of the cheapest options and possibly can't do what she wants, also reading around, it seems the salus isn't very well rated.

I've suggested she changes the salus for a better spec model, probably a worchester model to prevent any possible compatibility issues. Are these systems just 'plug n play' or do they have to be installed by the heating engineer?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

The video is basically showing the same as the user manual shows.

I went through the program settings and had a quick play around.

Silly question, the temp that you enter, is that the temp that you want the room heated to? And will the boiler switch itself off when that target temp is reached? Will it keep switching itself on and off throughout the day as the temp drops below the target temp?

and lastly, can 2 different 'on' times be set for the same day?

My mother wants the heating to come on roughly an hour before she gets up for work in a morning and then again roughly an hour before she gets home from work.

Thanks for any help provided.

As you can guess, I'm not too clued up on heating systems lol

Andy

Yes on all counts.

Its not the greatest controller in the world, but it will do what you need.

If you don't want it switching on when she's at work, set the temperature lower during those times.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan

Thanks for your replies. Do you have experience with a salus model?

From reading the manuals, I think I understand how to set it for her needs.

I've seen you can set 6 program times for each day, do you know if I need to set all 6 programmes for each day or could I just set say 3/4 programmes per day, something like this:

Programme 1: 7am, temp 24

Programme 2: 9am, temp 10 (so it doesn't come on as house temp should be higher than this anyway)

Programme 3: 5pm, temp 24

Programme 4: 8pm, temp 10 (again so it doesn't come on through the night)

Obviously these may need adjusting as the colder weather gets closer, but as a general rule, will these work how she wants them to?

Thanks

Andy

24 is very high.

If you don't want to use a pair of time slots simply set them to be the same.

so 5 & 6 for example can both the same as period 4.

24 degrees in December is the same as 24 degrees in July.

Personally I fit Honeywell unless I have very good reason to do otherwise.

Much simpler and more reliable, but if you have the Salus and it is working, then keep it.

Thanks for the reply Dan,

I just said 24 as an example as when I was at my mothers house the other day, the digital readout on the salus was saying room temp was 23.5 and it wasn't particularly warm. I'll prob set it in region of 18-20.

Also I understand about 24c being the same in Dec as July lol, I meant, I might need to adjust the times slightly as it will prob take longer to heat the house from a lower starting temp in winter, or she might want it on during night in winter.

Thanks for all your advice, I have a go at setting a programme for her when I'm next there at the weekend and she'll have to keep an eye on it to ensure its working as she desires.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back