WB wanted to remove Salus RF controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new WB 37cdi combi fitted in May 2012, complete with a Salus ST620WBC RF controller.
The boiler and CH is coming on randomly without the Salus calling for heat, typically during the afternoon and early hours of the morning.I was advised that the frost stat on the boiler is responsible,being set at 9 degrees C.However,it comes on when the temperature at the boiler and outside is well above this.
The WB engineer visited and refused to carry out any fault finding because he said that he had been instructed (he showed me the e-mail from WB) to remove the "offending" unit. When I pointed out that boiler and controller were my property and that in the asbence of a cover plate the boiler would be unsafe he backed down,packed his kit and left.
I since received an invoice (no charge) which reads.
"Customer has Salus plug in controls fitted,advised controls not tested by WB and should be removed".
So I am left with a 6 month old boiler which I suspect has a faulty frost stat and WB who refuse to even examine it while the Salus is fitted.
Am I alone in this?,can anyone advise my next course of action.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think you have one other than have the correct WB fitted, Im not saying I agree but if it was remote from the boiler they wouldnt bother but as it is an integral part they wont honour your warranty, does sound like it might be your frost stat and when they go faulty they dont go off at any given temp they just come on and off as they please

Thanks for quick reply!
My installer insists that WB deal with suspect stat under warranty and that he has "fitted dozens" of Salus controllers with no problems.
Is 9 degreesC not too high a setting for the frost stat?

Doesnt reall matter what its set at if it is faulty, in hind sight you should have let him remove the Salus repair the boiler then leave, you could then just plug it back in again

Sponsored Links
Doesnt reall matter what its set at if it is faulty, in hind sight you should have let him remove the Salus repair the boiler then leave, you could then just plug it back in again
That did occur to me but I didn't like his attitude and manner, got the impression he was glad to go without doing anything,kept complaining he would be late home. Anyone from WB care to comment!?

If you were in London I would have asked if the WB chap was of Spanish disposition.

However you have a Salus and it is cheap shlte.

Get it removed - even if temporary - fix the boiler and move on.

WB must have seen problems with these salus plug in controllers as we have been briefed about them too. Im pretty sure it was for the issue you are having too.

The installer should have highlighted that fitting the Salus clock would cause issues with Worcester. Even fitting the salus clock is a grey area in terms of product liablity since the boiler has not been approved with that part. Everyone in the trade knows that Salus have had a history of poor product reliabilty.

Call your installer back to replace the clock with the Worcester blanking panel. Then if there are still issues call back Worcester.

The installer should have highlighted that fitting the Salus clock would cause issues with Worcester. Even fitting the salus clock is a grey area in terms of product liablity since the boiler has not been approved with that part. Everyone in the trade knows that Salus have had a history of poor product reliabilty.

Call your installer back to replace the clock with the Worcester blanking panel. Then if there are still issues call back Worcester.

Installer says he will re-emburse me with the coat of the Salus. If I remove it I will have no contol over the CH.
Would you reccomend fitting a WB DT10RF, then maybe WB would have no excuses?

I would fit a better quality control, need not be WB, but I would also call WB and seek guidance from them. I as a heating engineer rarely use the controls made by boiler makers but instead favour controls from manufacturers who have been in the business for many many years. Danfoss, DraytonSunvic and Honeywell are just 4 names come to mind.

I suspect the issue here is unreliable control being the cause as opposed to boiler being faulty. Can understand a homeowner fitting a Salus control but an installer should easily see the shortcoming of the unit when compared to likes of Danfoss TP5000Si or its Honeywell equivalent ;)

Thanks DP
I spoke to WB technical and they of course reccomended the WB unit, however which RF controller would you suggest in your experience?
Needs to be user friendly and I don't need seperate programs for weekend etc,HW can be on continuous.

HW will be available at all times regardless on a combi boiler. My choice would be danfoss tp5000si. Honeywell will have a similar speced unit. Must follow the maker's spec when fitting the programmer.

Update
Fitted a WB DT10 RF so WB would have no excuse if the problem re-occurs,but so far no problems and much easier to use.
Thanks for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back