Salus ST620WBC control that came with Worcester Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had a Salus ST620WBC fitted with my boiler, it is rather complicated but I got used to it except when I put it on manual it reverts back to automatic. I got it October 2014 and the batteries went, I replaced them but couldn't get the lid back on. I eventually got it so the light came on and the time was right but it was still not connected to the boiler. I then noticed that my water was extremely hot and was worried that the temperature was not correct and turned the boiler off now I need someone to reset the control, the original plumber says he cannot do it and I should speak with Salus, any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
By water was too hot your meaning just from the hot tap? The Salus does not control the temperature of the heating/ hot water that the boiler maintains, this is usually done from the dials on the front of the boiler. By reset of control do you mean that you need to "repair" the salus room thermostat to the salus controller on the boiler?

Hi yes it was the temperature of the water and I realised the next day that I could control the temperature of the water from the front of the boiler. Now I still have hot water but no heat as the control is not working. I just spoke with a plumber and he has said that this control is not recommended by Worcester Boilers and they can now be bought on Ebay from £25 to £35. He said he could fix the control but I have decided to buy another control even though this one is still under warranty and will have to pay for call out as well. The original plumber would not come out and look at it, it only needs to be paired up to the boiler. Thanks for replying to my message.

I don't understand why it is not recommended, but anyway its possible all that is/was needed was the controller and the thermostat repairing with each other. Can you confirm that you still have the original Salus receiving directly connected to the boiler? And do you have the new/original wireless thermostat that you are wanting to use?

Sponsored Links
Hi yes I still have the original Salus control and the wireless thermostat I had the boiler and the control fitted in October 2016 but I have been recommended by a plumber not to use this control. I was going to get someone local just to pair it up with the boiler but now I think I might as well get a new bog standard control for the boiler, do you think that is a good idea? It will cost me £70 for the control and £70 to have it fitted.

I also had a Salus wireless set-up, I didn't like it so I took it out and replaced it with an ordinary no frills Centaur Plus jobby.

Thanks Stivino, it is very difficult when you are a woman on her own to know what is best, I must of picked the wrong plumber in the first place. The Salus is quite complicated and I just want something very basic.

While yes it can be complicated things can be learnt. Did the plumber give any reasoning behind his recommendation not to use it? If your happy with replacing something that possibly doesn't need replacing for something simpler then its best knowing what you want from a thermostat BEFORE buying anything that way you can be recommended something suitable. Do you have such requirements or do you want to try get the Salus working?

Also not sure if you have the manual for the Salus but heres the link anyway: http://www.salus-tech.com/cache/fil.../SALUS-ST620WBC-Manual-021-NEW-STYLE_89-1.pdf

I could get it fixed which would cost £70. The plumber that fitted it doesn't want to know he says he doesn't know about the control. I have spoken to another recommended plumber who gave me 3 options to fix the existing, get a control similar but easier or he will get a bog standard one for £70 and £70 call out. I am at work all day and do not need 6 settings, I think a bog standard control would be best. He also told me that Worcester Boilers now do not recommend this control for their boilers. I have the manual and have looked at videos on You Tube but it still didn't help when I put it on manual and then it would switch over to automatic when I didn't want it to. Thanks very much for getting back to me I have made an appointment with the plumber now but I really appreciate you getting back to me.

Unless I missed something you or your plumber is suggesting that its faulty when it sounds like its just lost connection since the batteries died, if this is the case its not faulty and the fix will cost you nothing. The problem you mentioned where the thermostat is going back into auto mode is by design as manual is meant to be for a temporary setting and then the next schedule kicks in and overrides the manual setting. To resolve this you can simply delete the unwanted schedules from the thermostat. Alternatively you can just use the "holiday mode" and set it so that your on holiday for the next few years and then the thermostat will stick at whatever temp you set it at.

It sounds like your plumber was not willing to take the time to read the manual and follow the instruction to get this working for you (again unless I missed something). Also most manufacturers only ever recommend their own products for obvious reasons and I feel this was mentioned by the plumber to get a quick fix. Although it also does serve your requirement for simplicity.

You are right there is nothing wrong with the control it just now needs to be paired with the boiler, I had a lot of difficulty putting the lid back on after replacing the batteries so wasn't sure if I had done something wrong. I managed after a day or two to get it back on correctly but now it just says OFF. The original plumber who fitted it should of come back and reset it for me I would have paid him. I still think it is a little too complicated for what I want, shame you live in Leeds or I would of asked you to get it going and paid you to do so.

Hopefully the plumber will fit you a suitable thermostat to your requirement, so be sure to mention what you want it to do before its purchased so there's no confusion. Also don't be afraid to ask them to show you how to use it, change settings etc.. should you need (take notes) :D.

Thanks I wish all plumbers would be so helpful, the man who is coming to do it is recommended and I will make sure I get him to do the settings before he leaves, the other chap told me what to do but left it to me to sort out. I probably could look at the instructions and fix the one I have but would rather have an easier to operate one. Thanks again for your help in this, it is appreciated.

If you're desperate for heat, you can switch the receiver next to the boiler to ON. That's the switch in the middle next to the light.

To pair up the transmitter after your replace the batteries:
1. turn the receive back to AUTO which is the middle setting
2. on the transmitter, press OK twice to access the menus
3. find the Pair menu using the scroll ring and then press OK
4. press OK again and you should see the pairing icon which I think is supposed to be a tiny transmitter mast
5. you now have 10 seconds to press the sync button on the receiver before it self-destructs - the sync button is the one on the right

No, seriously, you have 10 minutes to get the pairing so don't panic. And it won't self-destruct but you'll have to start all over again. Once you've pressed sync, icons will flash on the display and the LED will flash on the receiver. Hold your breath and it may all work. If it fails then the LED will flash really fast, or it may just all give up after 10 minutes. Once you think it worked, manually set the controls so the heating should come on and see if LED on the receive comes on and stays on. Obviously the boiler should also fire up.

Manual mode switching back to auto even if you only just set it is stupid, but it seems to be standard on this type of controller. omega already explained good ways to deal with this. You can have the automatic controls set to a relatively low temperature 24 hours a day and control it manually, or have it in holiday mode which is a really low temperature all the time and control it manually. Or just a small number of time slots, like maybe "day and "night", so you can keep track of where you are.

Hi I could of done this if the casing would have gone back on properly. I will try but as I said it says OFF now and there is no light. As you say it is on Auto now in the middle section but I don't think I will be able to press OK twice on the control because it doesn't seem to be working, I will try it though. Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back