samsung tv just keeps going through cycle and not starting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a samsung 42" lcd tv, its not turning on now just keeps going through the cycle. i had a problem before with it and changed 2 of the capacitors, the tv came on perfect first time once and ive had to hold the button in ever since until it goes through the cycle again and eventually comes on. now its going through and not coming on at all...

any ideas welcome??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi yes I fitted like for like what I'd taken out. Maybe I should of put higher rated ones in instead. I've checked for bulging and leaking ones but can't see any, all seem to be in good nick. Do you think taking them all out in that area (approx 8-10) and putting all new in at a higher rating is worth trying? Or could it be something totally different...

thanks.

If the symptom is identical to before then the capacitors are a safe bet. Otherwise measure them with an ESR meter. If there's no visible sign of internal pressure, you can't guess.

When you state "like for like" do you really main "the same manufacturer's stock code" or just something that had the same capacitance and voltage rating? If the latter then, unless you specifically chose capacitors with the same (or lower) ESR, they could have failed quite quickly.

Sponsored Links
I think ill order all new capacitors with higher values to overkill what's been put in in the first place to see if that works. I don't have a meter so Ill just replace.. Can't remember what I brought last time I just know the values was all the same. Ill take a pic when I get back to show you what I've done and the area i plan to replace.

As you are in Derbyshire, you might consider taking it to Buxton http://www.digifixltd.co.uk

Michael will do an on-the-spot assessment if you book in advance. Obviously he has all the necessary equipment including an ESR meter.

I can't read the manufacturer's name on them but none appear to be brown with a gold stripe, so they aren't the best type and are probably not low ESR type.

However, that does NOT mean they are faulty so you may be wasting your money in replacing them.

1. Did the original capacitors show visible signs of failure?
2. Were the original symptoms the same?

all are original well apart from the 2 that I have put in previous I got off ebay. there make is nichicon..

yes same symptoms as before and the originals was obvious straight away bulging at the top so I changed them 2.

from close inspection the 2 brown ones look ever so slightly inverted where as the others look flat.. maybe theres the issue??

where would you recommend these low esr ones from..

ive found a Samsung approved repair cap kit which covers that area of caps.

worth a try? without a tester its going to be a trial and error job I reckon.

I already gave the link to purchase the best (most reliable) Low ESR capacitors.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/low_ESR_capacitors.htm[/QUOTE]

Best and most reliable, you say.

What make and model are those, then?

Of course, you probably won't tell me, as they kindly ask their customers not to tell people what parts they supply or they'll refuse to do business with you!

They fail to state make, series, part number, pitch, temperature rating, lifetime, or ESR. Nice and hypocritical, especially considering the most recent blog calling out eBay sellers who don't give you specifications. This is all of course to protect their business (selling you capacitors with a 250% markup over other legitimate sellers who manage to make a profit just fine). :rolleyes:

In the drop-down list I'm looking at, the ESR is included for those capacitors that have it.

Above that it explains:

For best reliability choose lowest ESR value shown (in brackets). Capacitors marked (GP) are general purpose types suitable for mains voltage 50 or 60 Hz applications.
It's also explained near the top of the page, where it specifically mentions drop down list.

Capacitors below about 47uF don't usually have an ESR value specified because they aren't used in applications where it matters.

In the drop-down list I'm looking at, the ESR is included for those capacitors that have it.

Above that it explains:

For best reliability choose lowest ESR value shown (in brackets). Capacitors marked (GP) are general purpose types suitable for mains voltage 50 or 60 Hz applications.
It's also explained near the top of the page, where it specifically mentions drop down list.

Capacitors below about 47uF don't usually have an ESR value specified because they aren't used in applications where it matters.

Okay, now I see the ESR. Very poorly displayed. The inclusion of a Maplin part number for incomparable types of cap does not help anything but their Google ranking.

I still don't know pitch, temperature rating, endurance, ripple current, make, series..

But obviously I intend to use those things to steal their business.

The ESR on their larger caps is poor.

I fail to see the purpose of this discussion. Hopefully, you can read the page as well as I can. If you have a question you should email the company and ask it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back