Sand blasting kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Wolf - another famous British name sold off to a bunch of Chinese tat merchants :rolleyes:

Wolf - another famous British name sold off to a bunch of Chinese tat merchants :rolleyes:
right so if it Chinese it's tat ?... But is it ?. I am writing this on a apple iPad made in china and apple are by far the best so I am still not sure what is a good compressor I don't want to ues it all the time only now the then .. I mean when I was a panal beater I had all snap on tools now I am not I use cheaper tools as I am not useing them day in day out soooo what a ok compressor as a DIYer

Also remember that a 3HP SP motor won't run on a 13A socket. You'll need a 15A minimum supply for it.

Sponsored Links
Also remember that a 3HP SP motor won't run on a 13A socket. You'll need a 15A minimum supply for it.
yes I see but the first one I put a link to is 3hp but has a 13A plug are thay Diffrent then ???

3hp is fine on 13 amps.. A few numbers....1 horsepower = 0.745699872 kilowatts thus 3hp= 2.23kw
Power is calculated as Current x Volts, the UK nominal voltage is 230v but this can and does fluctuate, it is more often around the traditional 240v figure or higher. 13a @ 230v is 2990watts. 13a @ 240v is 3120watts. Manufactures power ratings are not a precise science and a fuse does not blow the second it reaches 13.1 Amps.
I run a 3hp table saw on 13 amps with no problems.

3hp is fine on 13 amps.. A few numbers....
Power is calculated as Current x Volts, the UK nominal voltage is 230v but this can and does fluctuate, it is more often around the traditional 240v figure or higher. 13a @ 230v is 2990watts. 13a @ 240v is 3120watts. manufactures power ratings are not a precise science and a fuse does not blow the second it reaches 13.1Amps.
I run a 3hp table saw with no problems.

Don't want to start a "Yes you can. No you can't" argument, but my 3HP single phase saw table motor blows the fuse on a 13A plug every time. Lot of variables in there, but it must be close whether it does or not on the starting current.

If it's fitted with a 13A plug, you'd expect it to be OK on that.

right so if it Chinese it's tat ?... But is it ?. I am writing this on a apple iPad made in china and apple are by far the best
You might be writing it on an iPad, but you're not writing it using any number of power tools, cutters or other locally engineered products from China. It may be a generalisation but MOST of it IS utter crap - don't just ask me, ask any tradesman about the quality of Chinese tools. If you need to make a living from them then they are best avoided UNLESS they are manufactured under the control of a trusted brand name (BTW the same doesn't apply to clothing which seems to be almost universally poorly made)

A little history lesson for you as you are obviously of tender years - and tender hide. In the 1960s Wolf was a highly respected British manufacturer of power tools. Alright, the had by the mid-1960s started to import some Japanese-made (Makita) tools and were branding them as their own (namely their 4in belt sander and power planers which were remarkably good quality), but by and large their range was designed and made by them. In the 1980s Wolf were bought-out by another highly regarded British maker, Kango to become Kango-Wolf, and they in turn became part of the whole Atlas-Copco/AEG/Milwaukee scene, at which point the Wolf name disappeared (not really known outside of the UK and Australia). A few years back the brand name reappeared, first in India on some very dubious knock-offs of original British Wolf designs, then later as a way to peddle cheap Chinese tools of very dubious quality here in the UK. the same second-class approach to marketing has been used to devalue other once famous British marques.

The main difference between Wolf and Apple is really rather obvious. Apple products are designed in the USA and manufactured under licence to Apple standards in China. Wolf products are not. The same sort of thing applies to firms like makita and Boscg manufacturing in China - their tools are developed elsewhere and manufacturing is in plants owned and run by the parent concerns who are obviously very careful to ensure that their well-established and valuable trade names remain that way. If you want to see how good Wolf are as a brand, look into the availability of spares. Simple.

Don't want to start a "Yes you can. No you can't" argument, but my 3HP single phase saw table motor blows the fuse on a 13A plug every time. Lot of variables in there, but it must be close whether it does or not on the starting current.
I think you've hit it on the nose. A compressor in particular will often start under a heavy load. When we were planning a workshop a few years back (1990s) we were advised to double the Amperage of the motor on our recipro compressor to ensure that we had sufficiently large MCBs on the circuit. That being the case a 3HP (or 2250 watts = 9.7Amps @ 230 volts) might draw up to 19.4 Amps momentarily at startup (which probably wouldn't pop the fuse). Not sure how well the capacitor start on the compressor would handle this, but at the very least I'd say the compressor needs to be on it's own circuit with a very heavy extension lead to it to be on the safe side. Have you looked atr the thickness/length of the power cabling feeding your saw?

right so if it Chinese it's tat ?... But is it ?. I am writing this on a apple iPad made in china and apple are by far the best
You might be writing it on an iPad, but you're not writing it using any number of power tools, cutters or other engineered products from China. It may be a generalisation but MOST of it IS utter crap - don't just ask me, ask any tradesman about the quality of Chinese tools.

A little history lesson for you as you are obviously of tender years - and tender hide. In the 1960s Wolf was a highly respected British manufacturer of power tools. Alright, the had by the mid-1960s started to import some Japanese-made (Makita) tools and were branding them as their own (namely their 4in belt sander and power planers which were remarkably good quality), but by and large their range was designed and made by them. In the 1980s Wolf were bought-out by another highly regarded British maker, Kango to become Kango-Wolf, and they in turn became part of the whole Atlas-Copco/AEG/Milwaukee scene, at which point the Wolf name disappeared (not really known outside of the UK and Australia). A few years back the brand name reappeared, first in India on some very dubious knock-offs of original British Wolf designs, then later as a way to peddle cheap Chinese tools of very dubious quality here in the UK. the same second-class approach to marketing has been used to devalue other once famous British marques.

the main difference between Wolf and Apple is really obvious. Apple products are designed in the USA and manufactured under licence to Apple standards in China. Wolf products are not. The same sort of thing applies to firms like makita and Boscg manufacturing in China - their tools are developed elsewhere and manufacturing is in plants owned and run by the parent concerns who are obviously very careful to ensure that their well-established and valuable trade names remain that way. Simple.
thanks for the insite ...I see what your saying and am glad you have info to back it up ...it's very easy for some people to say oh Chinese tat with out being able to back it up ..I must say I did buy a Chinese copy of a makita auto feed screw gun for £75 and the makita is about 4 times the price and it is excellent it really is ;)

A compressor in particular will often start under a heavy load

Ingersoll Rand include an automatic unloaded start-up on their premimum range compressors which depressurises automatically on shut-down with a blowdown solenoid.

The value package units are equipped with centrifugal unloaders.

That's an opinion, not a fact. And not one shared by the majority of professionals.

3hp is fine on 13 amps.. A few numbers....1 horsepower = 0.745699872 kilowatts thus 3hp= 2.23kw
Power is calculated as Current x Volts, the UK nominal voltage is 230v but this can and does fluctuate, it is more often around the traditional 240v figure or higher. 13a @ 230v is 2990watts. 13a @ 240v is 3120watts. Manufactures power ratings are not a precise science and a fuse does not blow the second it reaches 13.1 Amps.

Yes, because an electric motor is remotely close to 100% efficiency. Some motors are better than others, some have soft-start. Some don't. And not all of them start up unloaded.

Yes, some 3HP units will operate on a standard 13A plug. Many will not. Personally, I would prefer a more robust connector for anything upwards of 2kW.

That's an opinion, not a fact. And not one shared by the majority of professionals.

Yes, because an electric motor is remotely close to 100% efficiency. Some motors are better than others, some have soft-start. Some don't. And not all of them start up unloaded.

Yes, some 3HP units will operate on a standard 13A plug. Many will not. Personally, I would prefer a more robust connector for anything upwards of 2kW.
which bit is a opinion and not a fact ??

Apple is not the best really why what do you have to back this up ..do you work for Microsoft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back