Sand top of post level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a daft question but I have newel post with a slightly uneven top. Lower in one corner. Its resting on an uneven floor and I cannot afford to lose any height by attempting to saw it. Sanding on its own doesnt seem exact enough as who knows if the sander is level ?

Obviously I am not a carpenter or I would know a simply trick of the trade.

Please share it

Sponsored Links
Strange question , why would sander need to be level , thought you want to level a newel post?
Belt sander would take it down in seconds , pencil mark the high edges and sand off the pencil make and check for level , with a level .You would have to loose height to level .

Not that strange Foxhole. There is no way of knowing if I am holding the sander level is there, unless I can fix a level to it. I sometiimes use a small level on a drill to make sure I am drilling an exact perpendicular hole. I need to sand on the level as well to make sure I am not sanding one edge more than another or sides more than the centre.It is only 30cm above the floor so difficult to work on.

Sponsored Links
Make a wooden box/frame- open at the top.
Fix it over the post or to the post - Use a level to ensure that it is perfectly level
Make it lower than the finished post and shim it up

Make a slider/sled for a sander or router that sits on the level frame

Now that makes sense Tigercubrider. Takes out the problem of human error in the sanding Thanks

Not that strange Foxhole. There is no way of knowing if I am holding the sander level is there, unless I can fix a level to it. I sometiimes use a small level on a drill to make sure I am drilling an exact perpendicular hole. I need to sand on the level as well to make sure I am not sanding one edge more than another or sides more than the centre.It is only 30cm above the floor so difficult to work on.
Holding it level does not mean it will sand level .

You can do this with a circular saw two Bessy Clamps and some baton.
Measure the distance from saw blade edge to the outside edge of the base plate of the skill saw "about 30 odd mm" measure down from the lowest point said amount "30 odd mm" draw a feint line around newel preferably on masking tape. You only will only be able to do three sides. Clamp the baton to these lines and then slide the skill saw along the baton cutting the newel post in the process on all three sides, you can finish with handsaw and then sand, albeit putting a spirit level on a sander is a complete waste of time, it's about skill and eye at this point. Keep both hands on skill saw, keep your distance, go slowly when cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back