Sandstone Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This piece of sandstone needs repairing. It doesn't seem to be leaking any water, so I think repairing it might be suitable rather than replacing it.

Anyone got any tips / ideas?

Cheers

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It looks very white for sandstone. Most sandstone is honey coloured, like the cottages in the Cotswolds. Ham stone, a very popular Victorian synthetic stone was used extensively as trim, its also a little yellow in colour. It could even be a cheapo form of Portland stone.
If you use a weaker then 6:1 sand/cement mix the result will be the colour of the sand, but it will not weather well at all!! As you increase the amount of cement , it goes to the cement colour and tends to have a shiny surface.
What you need is a kilo or two of WHITE cement,a bag of the lightest sand you can get (check round your local suppliers, some sand is the colour of custard). Knock up a carefully gauged mix and allow to go off, make a decision, on adding more or less sand, try again.
Frank

Cheers guys.

I'm in East Bristol, if that helps identify it at all.

Sponsored Links
SBR make the mix go dark blue/black.It would make an excellent bonding agent but must never get up to the top surface.
Frank

how does this stuff weather? I have found that lime weathers very badly compared to cement base mortar. The web site does not seem to mention this.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back